With his Twitter account and the allegedly authentic conversation excerpts from the elevators of the billion-dollar corporation Goldman Sachs, which he shared, John LeFevre has caused quite a stir since 2011. After all, 750,000 followers regularly read the conversations he posts between employees in the investment banking sector. When he was exposed by the New York Times in 2014 that he had never actually worked at Goldman Sachs, LeFevre quickly wrote a book. This book includes a watch guide for employees in the financial sector, with which we have some issues. The basic rule of thumb for a banker's watch is that it may be expensive, but it must show success without being ostentatious let alone wasteful. In other words, one is always performing a balancing act. We'd like to offer our own guide to watches for bankers.
The hierarchy of luxury watches on Wall Street
For InternsYou have made it! The first hurdle has been cleared, but from now on it will be an uphill battle. To make sure that you really make progress as a newcomer to Wall Street and don't just have to stand at the coffee machine for the next three months, you should take a few things to heart. Punctuality is of course absolutely essential. This undoubtedly requires the right watch, which should embody your best side without being excessive. As a trainee in the financial sector, you have to wear a suit like everyone else and, in terms of timepieces, you could reach for one of the following watches as an accessory:
- If you are the type of person who radiates a certain sovereignty and self-confidence without too much fanfare, then a watch from the Baume et Mercier Classima collection might be the perfect fit. These timepieces are elegant yet understated, but at the same time high-quality enough to underscore your presence without appearing pretentious. There are also options for classic three-hand watches with Roman indices, more minimalistic models and even chronographs.
- Elegant and simple, yet sophisticated in its details, the Rado DiaMaster (Ref. R14074096) wonderfully accentuates your belt buckle or briefcase clasp with its gold hands, adding a subtle touch of colour. Upon a closer look, you will also notice the textured white dial, which gives a hint of exclusivity to this timepiece. Together with the brown leather strap, this watch is not only elegant, but also casual enough to be worn with a polo shirt.
RADO DIAMASTER R14074096
- Powerful, aspiring women on Wall Street have a surefire choice when it comes to the next watch. The Longines Evidenza (Ref.L126.96.36.199.6) is an automatic watch in stainless steel, like the Maestro Chronograph, and compliments the colour of a blazer with the dial's blue highlights, as the hands of the Pangea do. Fashionable as well as high-quality and practical, a woman of the world exudes self-confidence and a sense of style with an Evidenza.
For AnalystsYou impressed during your internship and now have the chance to continue to prove yourself as an analyst in the financial sector. Although you won't be closing the big million dollar deals like the big investment bankers on Wall Street yet and still have to make your own coffee, at least your salary is heading in the right direction. Now, it's time to stay cool and not get overconfident as a junior employee. If you immediately start wearing a watch out of your league or more expensive than your superior, you run the risk of provoking envy and disapproval. Nevertheless, you can indulge and reward yourself for your performance so far with one of the following watches:
- With a watch like the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Chronograph (Ref. 3188.8.131.52.01.005) you not only purchase an excellent timepiece for daily office life, but a genuine part of watch history and a solid, everyday companion. The Moonwatch is reliable and extremely versatile, but can also occasionally be too sporty. So be sure to display reason and sovereignty with the rest of your outfit.
- Is the perfect tiepin more important to you than a sporty all-purpose watch? Then you should take a closer look at some IWC Portofino Chronograph models. With its striking pushers, the watch allows itself a little extravagance and, with its almost delicate overall appearance, creates the image of a sensible and more importantly reliable owner.
IWC PORTOFINO CHRONOGRAPH IW391002
- Professionally as well as in terms of watches, you are not inferior to your male colleagues. Reward yourself, for example, with the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 150M Ladies (Ref. 184.108.40.206.55.001): slim, elegant and from one of the most renowned brands in the entire watch industry, but still understated enough to avoid negative reactions. Impress the others not only with your abilities, but also with your excellent taste.
For AssociatesYou have established yourself meanwhile in the company and people are beginning to pay more and more attention to you. As an Associate, your name is mentioned more often, you coordinate the tasks of the analysts and are now allowed to meet the clients personally from time to time. It is high time to get yourself a watch that not only reflects your professional success, but shows promise of it as well.
- If you've been dying to know when you'll finally be allowed to wear a Rolex in the office since the beginning of this article, then you've now reached the point where it's okay. However, you should avoid sporty models such as the Submariner or the Sea-Dweller Deepsea, because they don't really fit into your line of business and can be perceived as dubious despite their origin. Furthermore, a Deepsea hardly fits under common shirt cuffs. Instead, it's better to go with an elegant Rolex like the Datejust (Ref.126334). Made of stainless steel and white gold, the Datejust with its straightforward dial is the perfect companion for everyday office life and the famous crown on the dial regularly reminds you of your successes.
- If you appreciate the Datejust's image, but don't like the look of this classic watch, you might like the Cartier Santos 100 As the Santos is also a historically classic, it is the ideal counterpart to the Rolex. A striking, but in no way obtrusive design of the Santos goes hand in hand with its more than 100-year history. The rectangular case of the Santos 100 fits snugly on your wrist with its leather strap and is sure to draw admiring glances at both you and your timepiece.
- If you don't think you're the type for a Rolex, Breitling might be the right choice for you. This brand has been mentioned in the same breath as Rolex for years and is best known for its striking pilot's watches. But Breitling also has the odd model in its range, which would fit perfectly into the marble halls and spacious offices of a bank. For instance, let's consider the Premier B01 Chronograph 42 (Ref. A133151A1C1P1). This Breitling remains sleek and elegant enough to cut a fine figure under the cuff of a shirt, but always carries within it the adventurous heritage of the Breitling brand. The Premier B01 Chronograph achieves what many other watches fail to do: it is striking enough to catch the eye, but at the same time understated enough not to be perceived as boastful.
- If you'd like to be a little more daring and were already satisfied with the size and shape of the Omega Aqua Terra Ladies, then you are welcome to consider an upgrade. For ladies, we recommend a Rolex Lady-Datejust, available in rose gold, steel, yellow gold or a bicoloured version. Wearing a gold watch is considered perfectly acceptable for women, unlike men, for whom gold is often perceived as excessive and boastful.
ROLEX LADY-DATEJUST 178240
For a Vice PresidentYou have proven your qualities and, as Vice President, you now belong to the circle of managers, because hard work is very rewarding. At this point in your career, you oversee the work of associates and analysts, so you can allow the watch on your wrist to show who you are and what you do every day. At this point, you probably already know your way around the world of luxury goods. Nevertheless, let us give you a few tips for an appropriate timepiece to grace your wrist.
- A Rolex watch is not only the epitome of quality, but also an unquestionable status symbol. You have now reached the position where it is perfectly acceptable to wear one of the much sought-after Rolex Daytona models. With this watch, you not only express that you earn very good money, but also that you belong to the exclusive group of Daytona owners. These days, this watch is so in demand that you have to wait years for a new model.
- You have already achieved a great deal in your career and celebrate these befittingly with the finer things in life, such as a Glashütte Original Panoreserve (Ref. 65-01-01-01-04). The Panoreserve celebrates almost two centuries of the manufacturer's history with a yellow gold case and a fine crocodile leather strap. With the Panoreserve, you can also honour your many years of experience in the world of finance and subtly show your counterparts that you know how things work.
GLASHÜTTE ORIGINAL PANORESERVE 65-01-01-01-04
- The same applies to all those who give the largely male-dominated management floors in the financial world the necessary feminine cleverness. Whether you play it safe in your job or take risks from time to time, with a Cartier Tank Americaine you project confidence and leadership qualities in difficult situations.
For a Director or Executive DirectorThe path to the management level was likely neither easy nor quick. On the other hand, you now know all the tricks of the trade, so you're guaranteed not to be fooled so easily. Trade in your Porsche Boxster for a Mercedes E-Class and simultaneously replace the timepiece on your wrist with a more suitable model that suits your position. Here are our watch tips for the managing directors of tomorrow:
- Time plays an important role in your job, but it is no longer your main concern. Get yourself a watch that can do much more than "just" display the time. For example, how about a watch that displays the precise time, day, month, year and moon phase for the next century? With a Vacheron Constantin Perpetual Calender (Ref. 43031), you are undoubtedly playing in the league of truly exceptional gentlemen. This watch is a true work of art. Because not only your office, but your wrist as well deserves to be decorated with exquisite works of art.
- If you prefer your watch's dial a little more tidy, we'd recommend the Langematik (Ref. 308.027) by the German luxury watch manufacturer A. Lange & Söhne. The classic watches from the Langematik collection exude the intangible feeling of success in the most subtle way. Enjoy this feeling, because you have more than earned it.
- You have made a name for yourself in the financial sector and have succeeded among your peers and competitors. Nevertheless, there may be some who still doubt your qualities. Make those voices fall silent with a Cartier Ballon Bleu W6920047 3284 on your wrist. The craftsmanship of this watch is accentuated by the combination of yellow gold and stainless steel, the Roman indices and the blue cabochon, and will always make you shine as its bearer.
CARTIER BALLON BLEU W6920047 3284
For a Managing DirectorThe time for experiments is over and you don't have to prove yourself to anyone anymore. You are a well-known figure in the business and you don't need to constantly stand out. Therefore, you rely on a watch that, by its mere presence on your wrist, clearly signals to your counterpart that you are one of the few sharks swimming in the world of finance.
- According to expert opinions, there are some models which should only be worn once you have reached a certain position. Even if these watches were already affordable for you, they will only really be appreciated when you have reached a certain age and the appropriate position in the company. The Rolex Day-Date does this better than any other watch. The choice of model alone says a lot about its wearer. Those who adorn themselves with the watches of presidents, kings and popes automatically put themselves in the same category as them. Now that you belong to the elite, all of these options are open to you. Whether you opt for an eye-catching model in solid yellow gold or the more understated model in white gold or platinum is entirely up to you. Regardless of how you decide: a Day-Date belongs in a league of its own, just like you.
- Not only the Day-Date belongs in the executive floors on Wall Street. Watches from Patek Philippe are just as much at home there. The counterpart to the prestigious Day-Date is the Complications collection. The models in the Complications Collection feature a classic and stylish appearance as well as a perpetual calendar with moon phase. If you are looking for a wristwatch that stands out from the crowd, then you are making a phenomenal choice with a Patek Philippe Complications.
PATEK PHILIPPE COMPLICATIONS 5205G-010
- You have not only survived in the male-dominated world of finance, but you have conquered it. There is nothing and no one who can fool you here and challenge your throne. Reward yourself with a Piaget Polo and show the world that you are not only an expert in finance, but also fashionably confident and stylish. A watch like the Piaget Polo (Ref. G0A26032) will underscore your authority and personality thanks to its exclusivity and precious materials.
For a PartnerYou have reached the top and are no longer in the position to even need to know what time it is. Other people have watches, you have time. But if over the years, you have become passionate about luxury watches, then you are now looking for exclusive timepieces with rare value as precious as the original Rembrandt behind your desk.
- The undisputed champion of visual understatement is the Patek Philippe Grand Complications (Ref. 5207P-001). While this exclusive timepiece looks quite expensive, your peers will never suspect that the watch on your wrist costs more than half a million Euros. The Grand Complications is also extremely practical: the time, date, day of the week, month and moon phase can be read at a glance from the dial. But that's not all: at the touch of a pusher, small chimes ring out from this wristwatch. Patek Philippe visualizes the meaning of Haute Horlogerie in a truly unique way.
- For the time being, Patek Philippe's model remains unchallenged, but the next member of the "Holy Trinity" of watches stands next in line for the throne. The Vacheron Constantin Malte Perpetual Calendar Chronograph (Ref. 47112/000J) is in no way inferior to the prestige of the Grand Complications and represents a look back on a company history at least as impressive as yours. Equipped with a chronograph, a perpetual calendar and a moon phase, one might at first glance think one is familiar with all the features of this Vacheron Constantin. But you will only truly become aware of them once you turn the watch over and open the case back, similar to a pocket watch, to take a look at the workings of the calibre. A work of art for all who know to appreciate it – and can afford it.
- For the young at heart and friends of modern classics, Patek Philippe once again offers the perfect wristwatch: sporty and modern, the Nautilus fits your wrist and blends harmoniously into your everyday life. With its timeless, ever slightly futuristic, and yet still classic design, the Nautilus looks in vain for its equals. This watch is also available in a choice of flashier gold or more understated steel. With its various case diameters, the Nautilus is suitable for both men and women with narrower wrists and also leaves a certain amount of freedom within the variety of complications offered.
However, if watches have not played a major role in your life up to now, they probably won't do so now either. Naturally, you can express your personality and position in a completely different way, for example by wearing a simple Casio or a Swatch with modesty and confidence, like the CEO of Goldman Sachs Lloyd Blankfein – or you can simply forego a luxury timepiece altogether. You have complete freedom of choice, because after all, it is your company.