The question of what the perfect watch is, likely came into being with the wristwatch itself. But which wristwatch is the best men's watch – and can there even be such a watch at all? The one men's watch to rule them all can probably never be found, because personal preference about luxury watches varies greatly from person to person. Since the range of luxury watches is vast and difficult to keep up with, we'd like to feature our recommendations of the best luxury watches for men in four categories.
Best luxury watches for men
Modest watch classics for minimalists
- The Swiss legend Rolex starts our list with the popular Datejust II. This classic men's luxury watch features a 41 mm case diameter, making it the ideal choice for virtually any wrist. As a three-hand automatic watch with only a date complication, the Datejust II confines itself to the essential functions of a wristwatch and stands out with its pointed tip design. Whether index, Roman or Arabic hour markers, a smooth or fluted bezel, steel or Rolesor, as well as the different coloured dials – all these subtleties make the Datejust II a popular everyday hero in spite of its comparatively reserved features. Thanks to its minimalist appearance, the Datejust II is suitable as a men's watch for any occasion – whether with a suit or in combination with casual wear.
ROLEX DATEJUST II 116333
- If you have a lighthearted approach to life and can do without unnecessary fuss, then you might find your ideal men's watch in the IWC Portofino Kollektion. With a round steel or gold case up to 42 mm in diameter, an elegant metal or leather strap and a straightforward dial, the Portofino generally consists of the classic three hands and a small date window at 3 o'clock, but depending on the model, it also comes with such features as a chronograph, moon phase, power reserve display and even a tourbillon. A Portofino is a watch that places value on understated elegance and has no problem foregoing extras.
- Alternatively, here is a watch that offers exactly what the Portofino avoids: some extra flair. The Cartier Santos is a timepiece steeped in history from the Parisian Maison of one of the world's largest jewellery manufacturers. However, don't get the impression that the Santos is overly extravagant. Being the first, proper men's wristwatch, the Cartier Santos has played a significant role in the development of the wristwatch as we know it today. The Santos' distinctive rectangular case remains unchanged to this day and comes with either a leather or metal bracelet. With Roman indices, railroad minute track and blued hands, the Santos is classic enough to complement a suit, but with its screw-down bezel and metal bracelet, it exudes a touch of sportiness that equally goes very well with shorts and a T-shirt.
Chronographs for perfectionists
- When it comes to timepieces with a stopwatch function, the name "Moonwatch" is usually mentioned in the same sentence, which refers to the Speedmaster Moonwatch Series by Omega. In fact, this watch is a descendant of the first watch on the moon. Apart from its eventful past, the Omega Speedmaster is also considered one of the most popular luxury watches for men. After all, in addition to its impressive history, the model also features a unique and distinctive design as well as premium quality – all at an affordable price.
- If you generally like chronographs, but the Speedmaster isn't quite the model you were looking for, then the IWC Portuguese Chronograph might be worth considering. These chronographs have pushers on both sides of the crown and feature a large, easy-to-read dial and a small seconds complication. Certain models additionally include an unobtrusive date window at 6 o'clock. These automatic timepieces bring an eventful history as well as an elegant bracelet made of leather, steel or rubber to your wrist. Around the end of the 1930s, the series was designed for two Portuguese merchants who approached IWC with a request for particularly large wristwatches. IWC installed very accurate pocket watch calibres in large cases to meet the request. Thus, the IWC Portuguese came into the world and the collection got its name. IWC has created a perfect symbiosis of classic design and sporty functionality for men with the Portuguese Chronograph.
IWC PORTUGUESE CHRONOGRAPH IW390404
- Have you got gasoline in your blood? Then start your engines and cruise towards the TAG Heuer Carrera, because you are unlikely to find a more fitting wristwatch than the Carrera. Designed in a time when motorsports celebrated its golden era, the Carrera is named after one of the world's most legendary and treacherous rallies – the Carrera Panamericana. As a sports watch, the Carrera boasts a high-precision chronograph as well as a wide variety of designs: whether equipped with a tachymeter scale on the bezel or totalizers in a classic panda design. The chronographs in the Carrera Collection ensure the right model for practically any preference.
Robust men’s watches for sports lovers
- Apart from being a worthwhile investment, the Rolex Submariner is undoubtedly the classic men's sports watch par excellence among men's wristwatches. Water-resistant to a depth of 300 metres, equipped with a robust Oyster bracelet, a cyclops lens over the date window and luminescent hands and indices – the Submariner's features ensure the ideal companion for sports and leisure. Whether on a jog in the park or diving in the depths of the sea, the Submariner can accompany you in any situation. Furthermore, watch models in this series enjoy such great popularity that you are sure to get high resale value – that is, if you would ever want to sell your Submariner.
- Are you into a sporty look, but want it bolder? An equally popular men's watch is the Panerai Luminor Marina with its unmistakable case and prominent crown protection. These automatic watches were originally developed for the Italian Navy and to this day do not shy from their origin one bit. However, the unique, military look of the Luminor Marina does not overpower the watch, but rather gives it a rugged, confident appearance. If you would like to make a sporty statement with your watch, one of these Panerai watches are sure to be just right for you.
PANERAI LUMINOR MARINA PAM00086
- When the word "rugged" is used to describe wristwatches, Breitling is usually mentioned in the same breath. Known for its rugged simplicity, the Breitling Colt Automatik Collection offers perhaps the best companion for rough terrain and adverse conditions. Tough stainless steel cases and bracelets, as well as water resistance for up to 200 meters, make the Colt an outstanding luxury watch for men and the ideal companion for everyday wear. The chronometer-certified calibre rounds out the appeal of this durable all-rounder.
Big watches for big boys
- Not all wristwatches are a good fit for men with a sturdy build, many models with a small diameter appear lost on a broad wrist. Ultimately, this is a matter of personal taste, but a man who is 2 meters tall and weighs 120 kilograms is typically more comfortable with a case diameter starting at 40 mm, for example, than with a watch with a diameter of 32 mm. The watch industry also caters to individuals with a sturdy build and offers timepieces with impressive dimensions, such as the Breitling for Bentley 6.75. This series is the result of a collaboration between Breitling and Bentley and unites the best of both worlds on your wrist. A Breitling for Bentley watch delivers a precise chronograph with an automatic calibre with the classic style of the 6.75. Furthermore, these Breitling watches boast an impressive case diameter of 48.8 mm and are surprisingly affordable as pre-owned models
BREITLING BENTLEY MOTORS A25363
- Last, but not least, let's visit a brand that has long been popular with hip-hop artists and professional athletes: Hublot. This Swiss watch manufacturer based in Nyon has long had a reputation for producing timepieces in avant-garde designs for an extremely discerning clientele. It is hardly surprising, then, that Hublot has launched a sporty, extra-large watch for men with broad wrists. With its modest name, the King Power leaves little room for misinterpretation and describes where this timepiece sees and classifies itself. Its striking design is reminiscent of super cars and spaceships. With a durable rubber watch strap, this 48 mm diameter men's luxury watch sits securely, yet comfortably on the wrist.
What is the perfect men's watch?
In conclusion, a good watch is an indispensable part of the wardrobe of any man. However, it is important not to buy just any expensive timepiece, but rather always take time to try on a watch. Often, a men's wristwatch looks quite different when worn than in photos. And nothing is more annoying than purchasing a watch online and finding out afterwards that you don't really like it after all.
At Watchmaster, this is of no concern, because when you buy a luxury watch online, we provide a 14-day return policy. This allows you to view the desired watch on your wrist at home in peace and determine whether the shape, colour and size of the model are right for you. In the worst case, simply return the watch and receive a refund of the purchase price. However, if you are still unsure about which watch would be right for you, our tips for finding the perfect men's watch will certainly help. In our store, you can also purchase a number of other men's watches at low prices online.
|All men's watches »|