All black watches are in style
Black has always been and will undoubtedly remain a classic choice for design. No matter whether it is a reliable choice to fall back on or because it is the quintessence of elegance, black always appears to be a good choice. And the same is true in the watch industry: a black watch always works and blends easily into any outfit. In our review of the watch trends 2020, we also noted that completely black watches are regarded as one of the trends of the year. This cannot be denied due to their popularity. Let's take a closer look at some examples of black watches.
Materials and coatings used for black watches
Historically, classic watch colours are the result of the raw material from which they are made. Metals such as brass and stainless steel have shaped our perception of a luxury watch. However, over the course of time, all black watch models have become more and more established and enjoy great popularity today. It is not only the fashion industry that has adopted the "colour" black, but the watch industry as well – and the demand is growing. Watch brands and specialist companies have always striven to push the development of new types of timepieces even further. In particular, Rado has played a pioneering role in connection with black timepieces. By harnessing high-tech ceramics for watchmaking, the company has developed robust, black luxury watches made from a completely new type of raw material. Ceramics make the watches extremely durable and highly scratch resistant. Furthermore, the material is anti-allergenic, which is particularly well-suited for people with metal allergies or sensitive skin. Another dark raw material is carbon, which stands out for its lightweight, durable qualities.
PANERAI LUMINOR MARINA PAM00026
Ceramics and carbon are not the only materials that provide a black appearance for watches. For example, models made of titanium are now given a new look using special coating processes. The PVD process (physical vapour deposition), for example, involves transforming a wafer-thin layer of the material into the gas phase using physical processes that are subsequently fused with a substrate. The purpose of this material choice and coating is to make the watch model more resistant to scratches and other wear that can occur on a wristwatch which is frequently worn. Even more resistant are watches with a black-grey DLC coating (diamond like carbon), which is applied to the surface of a timepiece in several wafer-thin layers by means of a vacuum process. Timepieces with this type of coating retain their original condition for a remarkably long time.
What to consider before purchasing a black watch
Before you decide to purchase a pre-owned black luxury watch, you should inquire whether the black coating actually came from the watch manufacturer or whether it was personalized by a specialist company. Rolex, for example, is very strict about the authenticity of its watches and even goes as far as not to perform any overhauls on black DLC models. However, there is no need to worry, as many watchmakers specialize in brand models and restore personalized black Rolex models. Even if you purchase a used Rolex with DLC coating in the Watchmaster online shop, you can still rely on the service of our experienced master watchmakers and receive a model that has been thoroughly inspected and refurbished in our in-house master workshop.
BREITLING AVENGER BLACKBIRD V1731010.BD12.100W.M20BASA.1
Why is it worthwhile to invest in a black watch?
- There is no need to ask which watch goes with which outfit, because a black watch complements all clothing and jewellery.
- Black watches are a real eye-catcher on the wrist.
- Whether ceramic, carbon, DLC or PVD coated: black watches are particularly resilient and show fewer signs of wear due to their materials.
- Coated watches have a higher resistance to corrosion on account of their extra layers.
10 black luxury watches at Watchmaster
If you are looking for a completely black watch, you will quickly find one in Watchmaster's collection. For those interested in a watch that is simple and yet still an eye-catcher and stylish accessory, we have selected a few black watch models from our shop. While some models are actually completely black, others play with striking contrast and expertly place colour accents on the hands, indices or in other subtle details.
- In honour of Edmund Hillary's successful expedition to Mount Everest, Rolex created the Explorer Series. The Rolex Explorer (Ref. 214270) DLC is given a special DLC coating that makes it even more scratch-resistant, which together with the black dial gives it a mystical quality. This black Rolex Explorer is also an absolute eye-catcher on the wrist.
- Black Venom is a company that specializes in turning luxury watches into one of a kind timepieces that provide their owners with a unique experience. Black Venom was the first company in Italy to specialize in working with PVD and DLC coatings. Watch models such as the Rolex Oyster Perpetual (Ref. 116000) Black Venom are up to eight times more robust than conventional stainless steel models without a DLC coating.
- There are a few black watch models in the Breitling Avenger Blackbird series. Featuring a dial design that is subdued by Breitling's standards and a 48 mm diameter case with PVD coating, the Avenger Blackbird (Ref. V1731010.BD12.100W.M20BASA.1) makes a strong statement on the arm that is equally stylish.
- Ever since the Omega Speedmaster made history with the Apollo 11 moon landing in 1969, it has been a fashion icon. The Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch (Ref. 3220.127.116.11.01.005) is no exception. The bezel and case of this Speedmaster are made entirely of black ceramic and the bracelet is made of black synthetic fibre. There are no other colour accents on the watch. Only from the back does one find red seams and a silver movement that can be admired through a sapphire crystal case back.
- Panerai watches are known for their accomplished blend of modern design and a classic spirit. The Panerai Luminor Marina (Ref. PAM00026) impresses not only with its luminescent dial design and celebrated crown protection, but also embodies a modern, stylish spirit with its all black design and PVD case.
- One can acquire a part of watch history with a Rado Integral. The high-tech ceramics used for this series were a first in watchmaking technology. The black of the watch is tastefully juxtaposed with subtle elements of yellow or rose gold, making these timepieces modern classics that will never lose their lustre.
- The black Sinn UTC (Ref. 856) is well prepared for everyday challenges thanks to DLC coating and stands out with its clearly structured dial, which also reliably performs its duties at night thanks to the generous coating of luminous material.
- Wearing a TAG Heuer Monaco (Ref. CAW211M.FC6324), one makes a fashion statement. The striking design alone makes this elegant timepiece stand out among the crowd. The deep black of the steel case, the leather strap and the dial make this Monaco stand out from its counterparts in the series.
- The Bell and Ross Black Ceramic (Ref. BRS-98-PBCD) ladies' watch impresses with its classic design in keeping with the Bell & Ross philosophy. With its ceramic strap, diamond-studded bezel and precise quartz movement, the Black Ceramic is also more than fit for everyday use.
- All other luxury watches look like boring, common watches in comparison to the Girard Perregaux Sea Hawk (Ref. 49960-32-632-FK6A). With its 44 mm black titanium case, a black, extremely durable rubber watch strap as well as a black dial with a date window, small seconds and power reserve indicator, this watch does not skimp on features. The extraordinary Sea Hawk is also equipped with a precise automatic movement.
ROLEX EXPLORER 214270 DLC
OMEGA SPEEDMASTER MOONWATCH CHRONOGRAPH 318.104.22.168.01.005