GMT watches are nowadays more popular than ever. We take this as an opportunity to introduce you to the most popular models from Watchmaster and help you shed some light on the market that’s filled with countless brands and models of GMT watches.
What does GMT stand for?
Let's start with a small historical digression: The Greenwich Mean Time, GMT for short, was created out of the necessity to establish uniform time zones worldwide. People decided to divide the 360 degrees of the earth by the 24 hours of a day. The result, 15, ultimately ensured that the same time would prevail within 15 degrees of longitude. The addition of "Greenwich" to the name goes back to the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, as the longitude there was declared the zero meridian, which divides the world into the Eastern and Western hemispheres.
Today, the Coordinated Universal Time, also known as UTC, is measured with atomic clocks and valid worldwide. Nevertheless, the Greenwich Mean Time is still used in Great Britain and parts of West Africa.
Who are GMT watches suitable for?
A GMT watch has the advantage of being able to display two time zones simultaneously. Different models do this in different ways, of course, but what they all have in common is that they are a valuable tool for frequent travellers to keep track of several time zones. If you want to learn how to set a GMT watch, you can find more information here.
Are GMT watches only for people who travel a lot? No. A GMT watch is also very useful to keep track of another time zone where a friend or colleague is currently located. Many people also just appreciate the look of GMT watches, which round off any outfit with their often bicoloured bezels. There are numerous reasons to buy a GMT watch. With the following list, we would like to give you a brief guide to help you decide. Perhaps you will find the right model for you among our Top 10 best GMT watches.
Our Top 10 GMT watches
1. Rolex GMT-Master IIA true classic, re-interpreted: the Rolex GMT-Master II. Especially the steel models of this sporty icon are currently in the focus of many watch fans. Due to the multicoloured bezels, the various GMT-Master II models have been given nicknames such as "Pepsi" or "Batman". As versatile as a Swiss army knife, the GMT-Master II never lets its wearer down. The robust Oyster- or the elegant Jubilee bracelet, a water resistance of up to 100 metres and the easily combinable look of this model make sure of it. A watch for all occasions. With a list price of € 8,800, the "Pepsi" Ref. 126710BLRO and the "Batgirl" Ref. 126710BLNR are among the more affordable models produced by the Swiss luxury brand. The only problem: Due to the high demand, those who are interested in buying new models must be prepared for long waiting periods of three to five years. This makes GMT-Master II watches extremely sought-after on the secondary market and thus also somewhat more expensive compared to the manufacturer's prices. If you do not want to wait that long, then take a look at the large selection of GMT-Master II models in the Watchmaster shop.
ROLEX GMT-MASTER II 116719BLRO
2. Tudor Black Bay GMTThe smaller sibling of the Rolex GMT-Master is the Tudor Black Bay GMT. With the same functionality and only minor differences in design, the Tudor is a cost-effective alternative to Rolex's GMT watch. This underdog convinces both new and second-hand with affordable prices and immediate availability. With a Black Bay GMT, you have a reliable watch at your side that definitely lives up to Tudor's "Born to Dare" slogan.
3. Breitling Chronomat 44 GMTFrom one of the first pilot's watches with a slide-rule bezel to one of the most popular pieces of equipment in the US Air Force and one of Breitling's flagships, the Breitling Chronomat can already look back on a long and eventful history. This heritage has resulted in a watch that combines the essence of a Breitling chronograph with the advantages of a GMT watch. The Breitling Chronomat 44 GMT is a striking watch that remains faithful to itself in all its different versions. Its wide range of models guarantees that everyone will find a suitable, highly functional timepiece. Let others know that nothing is going to upset you with this confident watch.
BREITLING CHRONOMAT 44 GMT AB042011.BB56.375A
4. Frederique Constant Classics Index GMTFor lovers of classic watches with the allure of a dress watch, Frederique Constant designed the Classics Index GMT, a distinguished and discreet watch that goes well with both a suit and a more informal look. With a comparatively low price, the Classics Index GMT fits every budget and reflects what makes this watch so wonderful: True greatness comes from within.
5. Bremont CodebreakerBremont has mastered how to elegantly present real power houses. Once again the Britons from Henley-on-Thames prove this with the Bremont Codebreaker (Ref. BWC) True to the spirit of a classic and easy-to-use watch, the Codebreaker does without an overloaded dial, despite its flyback chronograph and 24-hour GMT display. The rose gold case and crocodile leather strap make this watch a real eye-catcher and a worthwhile investment.
BREMONT CODEBREAKER BWC
6. Montblanc Sport GMTAs the name suggests, the next watch is much more sportive. Montblanc, known primarily for its stationery products, offers the Sport GMT, for example, a watch for all those who do not want to do without the visual advantages of a sports watch when travelling. The Montblanc Sport GMT is the ideal "jet-set watch" for people who are always on the go. But also for those who enjoy a more classic look, Montblanc has the right model at hand with the Meisterstück GMT Chronograph Star (Ref. 7067), for instance.
7. Hublot Big Bang Unico GMTDo you like it more futuristic and want to set a statement with your GMT watch? Then the Hublot Big Bang Unico GMT is the right model for you. With the typical Big Bang look, the Unico GMT impresses with its additional and obligatory GMT function and a day and night indication, which can show morning and evening hours for both time zones by rotating a small disc located in the centre of the dial. Second-hand, this prestigious GMT watch is much more affordable and interesting for those who like it a little more extravagant on their wrist.
HUBLOT BIG BAND UNICO GMT 471.QX.7127.RX
8. Blancpain Villeret GMTVilleret is a small, picturesque village in the French-speaking part of Switzerland. Just as charming as the town itself is the watch of the same name from the traditional watch brand. The Blancpain Villeret GMT is for lovers of timeless designs and sophisticated complications. We are particularly fond of the Villeret GMT (Ref. 6260-3642-55). Via three totalizers, it displays the second time zone at 12 o'clock, day and night at 9 o'clock and a small second at 6 o'clock in a clear and understandable way. A date display is located at the typical 3 o'clock position.
9. Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 600M GMTNo top 10 list in the watch world would be complete without Omega. That's why a watch from James Bond's favourite brand should not be missing here either. The Seamaster Planet Ocean 600M GMT has definitely earned its place in this list. At first glance, it can hardly be distinguished from the popular Planet Ocean. Only an additional hand for the second time zone and the writing "GMT" expose this Planet Ocean model as a GMT watch. Even adventures underwater are no problem for this watch. Since it has a water resistance of 600 meters, you can easily see what time it is at home in Germany when diving along the coast of Australia.
10. Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Grande GMTThe Reverso Grande GMT is an exquisite piece of Haute Horlogerie and is packed with finesse. As usual for the Reverso series, this GMT version has a rotating case with two different dials. One of them tells you the local time with date, small seconds and day and night display. The other dial shows the second time and the remaining power reserve, and also has a day and night indication as well as a display that shows whether the displayed time is ahead or behind the local time. This makes the Jaeger-LeCoultre an unquestionably impressive GMT watch and is sure to warm the hearts of many collectors.
JAEGER-LECOULTRE REVERSO GRANDE GMT Q3022420 240.2.18