There comes a point in life when only the best is good enough. This is exactly the feeling you get when you cross the threshold of a Cartier concessionaire. Whether buying an engagement ring, a necklace or a Cartier wristwatch, every single piece of jewellery from Maison Cartier is breathtaking in its own way. While it is difficult to narrow down the nearly countless reasons, here are the ten reasons why we love Cartier.
10 reasons why we love Cartier
1. The birth of a legendWhen Louis Cartier and Alberto Santos-Dumont first met in 1901, the two visionaries had no idea of the legend they would create together. One day, Santos-Dumont, a Brazilian aviation pioneer, told his friend, Cartier, about how difficult it was to read time from a pocket watch during flight. Louis Cartier's passion for innovation awoke and three years later, in 1904, he presented Alberto with one of the world's first wristwatches for men: the Cartier Santos. The fact that wristwatches had until then been reserved mostly as fashionable jewellery for women changed almost abruptly. The Santos has hardly changed optically since and is still an integral part of Cartier's collection today.
CARTIER SANTOS W2SA0006 4072
2. Cartier and "la Panthère"It is impossible to visit the Cartier website for more than two minutes without stumbling across it several times: the Panthère. Since the early 20th century, the elegant and rare feline predator, the panther, has been a source of inspiration for Jeanne Toussaint and the designers of the Maison. In 1933, Louis Cartier appointed the then 46 year-old as the new creative director at Cartier. The post was unusual for a woman at that time. With her inexhaustible energy and dynamic nature, she pushed the development of the Panthère de Cartier ever further and became known as "La Panthère", i.e., the Pantheress. Toussaint represents not only revolutionary watch design, but is regarded as a symbol of strong and independent women thanks to her work in the jewellery industry.
CARTIER PANTHÈRE W25029B6 1120/ 66921
3. The unique unveiling of a collectionArtists from all over the world unite! Between the 9th and 14th of April 2019, creativity, joie de vivre and inspiration were in the air at the Place de Vendôme in Paris. At the "Clash de Cartier", artists and art forms of every type and style gathered. It was a festival of art itself – full of physical, musical, literary and other performances. This was a statement in itself that the company not only allows creativity and art the necessary freedom, but also a stage that attracts the attention of the world in addition to a brand name and high-ranking enthusiasts. The actual reason behind the event was to celebrate the launch of the Clash de Cartier Collection. This type of product unveiling was extraordinary and extremely brilliant from a marketing point of view. For us – especially on account of its philanthropic nature – it is one of the reasons why we love Cartier.
4. The Cartier Women’s InitiativeIn 2006, Cartier and McKinsey & Company, together with INSEAD Business School, founded the "Cartier Women's Initiative". This award is aimed at engaged, women-run businesses in a variety of industries that contribute to solving global problems and making the world a better place. Each year, a jury selects three finalists from each of the following regions: Europe, North America, Latin America, Middle East and North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa, East Asia and South Asia and Oceania. Then, a winner is presented with the Cartier Women's Initiative Award. We would like to extend our congratulations to all the distinguished winners.
CARTIER SANTOS DEMOISELLE WF9002Y7
5. An exceptional commitment to philanthropyEven though we've already mentioned the philanthropic aspect of the Clash de Cartier, this event pales in comparison to the nature of the Cartier Philanthropy Foundation. This charitable foundation pursues the ideology of bringing out the best in everyone and operates entirely independently of the Maison Cartier, so that it can concentrate on emerging projects. The foundation's primary objective is to provide access to basic services in developing countries. This is followed by gender equality and, in particular, the social and economic development for women who have been victims of violence, the commitment to sustainable ecosystems and livelihoods, as well as emergency preparedness and response. In doing so, Cartier demonstrates a strong commitment to social engagement, from which other companies could draw inspiration. We take our hats off to this important work – and to Cartier!
6. Cartier values sustainabilityTo top it all off, Cartier is also committed to upholding business ethics as well as current environmental and social standards within its practices. Cartier's principles include a zero-tolerance policy against corruption and money laundering, integrity and transparency in its operations and adherence to strict guidelines regarding the sourcing of its raw materials, in particular diamonds. Additionally, Cartier has a zero-tolerance policy against child or forced labour in its gold and gemstone mines. During production, processes are monitored with scrutiny to determine which steps can be made more energy-efficient and to what extent environmental protection can be optimized. Cartier is also a leader in sustainability, which makes this luxury watch manufacturer all the more appealing.
CARTIER CALIBRE DE CARTIER W7100045 | CARTIER TANK FRANÇAISE W51011Q3 2465
7. Cartier's role as a symbol of loveCartier is in love with love and we love Cartier! With the "Love" Collection, Cartier makes a statement about the eternal and unbreakable bond between two people. In 1969, Aldo Cipullo created the novel "Love" bracelet for Cartier, which required two people to close and open. In the 1970s, the screw-adorned bracelet became a symbol of love thanks to such famous couples as Liz Taylor and Richard Burton as well as Ali McGraw and Steve McQueen. Meanwhile, rings, necklaces and earrings are also part of the brand's jewellery collection. If you are looking for the classic symbol of love, Cartier also offers engagement and wedding rings – naturally, these are also available in the "Love" collection.
8. The cabochonOne of the unmistakable trademarks of the Maison Cartier is the cabochon. This cut and polished gem appears in almost all the models and collections by the French manufacturer of jewellery and watchmaker, and adds an elegant touch to even originally practical models such as the Cartier Santos. The blue sapphire is usually embedded in the crown of watches, but the company also applies these precious stones to rings and other pieces of jewellery. Interestingly, although the blue sapphire is the stone most commonly used by Cartier for the cabochon, it is by no means the only one offered. Apart from their signature blue gemstones, green sapphires and even red rubies are occasionally used. The Santos-Dumont (Ref. WGSA0036), for example, comes with a ruby cabochon, but is one of the absolute exceptions in the collection.
CARTIER TANK SOLO W5200013 3170