Buy IWC Portofino watches certified pre-owned, used and vintage
Discover more about the history of the IWC Portofino
For more than three decades, the collection of IWC Portofino has developed. Today, it is one of the absolute bestsellers of the house. How did this happen?
The demand for classic, timeless wrist watches rose rapidly in the late 1970s. Simple but fine, functional watches were more in demand than ever before, so also the manufacturer IWC Schaffhausen followed this trend. In 1984, the manufactory launched a new collection: the IWC Portofino was born.
The homonymous fishing village on the Italian Riviera coast exudes a picturesque ambience, the harbor offers a unique sight. It almost seems like time has stopped here. The lightness of being, la dolce vita, which conveys the village on the Ligurian coast, should also emanate from the new IWC collection - this is where the name of the watch family came from. Mediterranean flair, embodied by a watch? That succeeded, the collection gave and gives itself universal, at the same time distinguished, seduces into a world of the luxury and the sensual pleasure.
The base for the first IWC Portofino (Ref. 5251) was a pocket watch, the IWC Lépine. Its dial and case have been reinterpreted, but the main features of the Lépine are reflected in the Portofino: The classic round, golden case reflects the rich history of pocket watches. Thus, the reference 5251 became the leading model of the Portofino family.
In the following years, IWC continued to expand the collection with new models, as the Portofino made a name for itself quickly. The models of the series offer an interesting alternative to IWC's famous Portugieser. The IWC Portofino are often cheaper than the esteemed flagship. The collection quickly became a popular choice when it comes to buying the first own watch - a moderate entry price, the noble workmanship and above all the classic timeless design speaks for itself.
Incidentally the models of the Portofino family are equally popular in the women's and men's world. This is due to the ideal compatibility with almost any outfit, whether casual look, business suit or elegant evening wear. An IWC Portofino complements the look with a touch of timeless elegance and underlines a stylish appearance.
The IWC Portofino Automatic under the microscope
The best-known model of the Portofino collection now presented in a little more detail: The IWC Portofino Automatic (Ref. IW356511). It is characterized by pure elegance. The simple and well-designed, gray dial with stick indices in rose gold, three elegant hands and a date window on three o'clock position convince with perfect readability. The 18ct red gold case itself measures 40mm in diameter and 9.3mm in height. The sapphire crystal is anti-reflective on both sides and, depending on the light, sometimes produces a bluish glow on the dial.
This model of the IWC Portofino is waterproof up to 3 bar, inside the caliber 35111 does its work with automatic winding and 25 jewels, in addition to a power reserve of up to 42 hours.
If this is not enough, just look at the caseback: Here you will find the elaborate engraving of the port of Portofino, the same charming backdrop as when you enter the harbor of the village by boat. The timepiece undeniably radiates the Mediterranean flair of Liguria.
This engraving can’t be found on all, but many, models of the Portofino collection.
IWC in the world of stars
The watch brand IWC brings together a number of well-known personalities.
For example, supermodels like Karolina Kurkova or Adriana Lima wear models of the swiss manufactory.
Also in the world of sports you will meet avowed IWC fans: Nico Rosberg, Jan Frodeno and Lewis Hamilton are often seen with their IWC watches.
Actors like Naomi Harris (Pirates of the Caribbean), Taylor Schilling (Orange is the New Black) and Lucas Gregorowicz (Lammbock) wear IWC, since January 2018 also Hollywood star Bradley Cooper (Hangover) is among the IWC supporters - he is the official Brand Ambassador of the house and often shows up with different models of the luxury brand.
The most popular series of the Portofino family and IWC Portofino prices
- The IWC Portofino Automatic is the most popular series of the collection. With three hands and a small date indicator, it is definitely timeless and beautiful. The Portofino Automatic series is available in different colors and with various bracelets, the case either in stainless steel (Ref. IW356501), rose gold (Ref. IW458105) or white gold (Ref. IW356514). The new prices range is from 4.450, - € up to 11.300, - €.
- For those who prefer it a bit more sporty, choose the IWC Portofino Chronograph Series. Inspired by the traditional elegant design of the 1960s, the watches in the series feature elegant push-buttons and perfectly integrated totalizers. The models are available in different versions, from the stainless steel case (Ref. IW391008) for 5.550, - € up to the 18ct rose gold case (Ref. IW391021) for 15.100, - € there is something for every taste.
- As collector's item you can call the models of the series IWC Portofino Hand-Wound Eight Days. You can look forward to wind your classic watch by hand for up to one week. The main power storage provides power for up to 192 hours. At three o'clock the current date can be read from, at six o'clock is the small second and an indication for the remaining power reserve can be found at nine o'clock. Inside the watch, the factory movement caliber 592210 ticks, which thanks to the curved Breguet spiral ensures a frequency of 28,800 vibrations per hour. In other words, the accuracy is remarkably. The watches of the series are available in stainless steel (Ref. IW510106) as well as in rose gold (Ref. IW510104), the price range for new models ranges from 9,950, - € to 18,700, - €.
Other, comparable series of the brand
- IWC Portugieser - Today a top seller at IWC, the watch was initially a shelf warmer after its introduction in the 1930s, because it was unusually large for the time, with its 38mm case diameter. It was made on the request of two Portuguese importers, they requested a large watch in the style of an easy-to-read train station clock. Since then, the IWC Portugieser is unmistakable, distinctive Arabic numerals complete the noble design perfectly.
- IWC Da Vinci - The collection of the IWC Da Vinci exists for almost 50 years. It always kept up with the times, convincing with great complications and an unusual design vocabulary. Especially the strap lugs stand out, because of their curved horns the bracelets are not loose, also on slim wrists. This makes the collection interesting for women.
- IWC Ingenieur - the first model of the collection was presented in 1954. In the midst of advancing technological progress, IWC developed a watch that could easily withstand strong magnetic fields. With the reference 3508, IWC, together with the well-known watch designer Gerald Genta, created what was then a real masterpiece: The Ingenieur was resistant to magnetic fields of up to 500,000 amperes per meter. The current models are still intended for use in the field of high magnetic influences, but IWC is no longer alone in this field.
- IWC Porsche Design - The cooperation between the two luxury brands IWC and Porsche Design lasted 20 years. This resulted in some incredible timepieces, the sporty design inspired by the gauges of the legendary Porsche 911. Precision instruments, tuned to the stop time in the millisecond range - that is what the watches from the IWC Porsche Design collection promise us.
The fastest way: Finance your IWC Portofino
IWC Portofino cheap and affordable - IWC Portofino used
If you now want to buy an IWC Portofino, the selection of different models is wide. Watchmaster as a dealer for certified, used luxury watches, always offers some IWC Portofino cheap in its online shop. You can be absolutely sure that you will receive a certified IWC Portofino and you´ll be pleased by the prices.
After making a choice, pay conveniently by credit card, PayPal or bank transfer. Alternatively, you can also finance your IWC Portofino. Define the installment plan as well as the down payment amount according to your wishes and expect in a few days your technically as well as visually refurbished watch.