More about the TAG Heuer Monaco
More Information about used, vintage and new TAG Heuer Monaco watches
TAG Heuer Monaco stands for motorsport
Motorsport is in the name of the watch already, and the thought of the Formula 1 race in Monaco makes it taste like gasoline. Derived from these brilliant races is the name of the series, which was launched in 1969. It is striking - especially newer models are available in rich colors, but also vintage variants of the TAG Heuer Monaco are very distinctive with their square dial.
The watch has a finely graduated dial, the integrated automatic chronograph and an additional date display. The watch embodies the racing more than any other watch, at the latest after watching the movie "Le Mans", the crystal clear. Speaking of glass: The processed sapphire crystal of the watch is anti-reflective on both sides so that the time remains readable even in strong sunlight.
The story that the Monaco wrote
Founder-great-grandson Jack Heuer is a self-confessed motorsport and watch enthusiast. He soon had the idea to unite these two passions, so the idea for the TAG Heuer Monaco was born. A watch designed to appeal equally to both racers and watch enthusiasts, a watch that should embody motorsports in the future.
The square case made the watch very unusual for the standards of the time, but this did not detract from the success of the TAG Heuer Monaco. On the contrary, it sets itself visually still today from other watches and fascinated by not only lovers.
At the latest in 1970, the big breakthrough came in the motorsport movie "Le Mans" Steve McQueen plays a race car driver, on his wrist is clearly recognizable to see a TAG Heuer Monaco. Its unusual case attracted the attention of every viewer, making the creator Jack Heuer one of the first product placements in an international format film.
After the merger with the TAG group (Techniques d'Avant Garde) in 1985, in 1998 a tribute to the original model of the Monaco was made, the Monaco Steve McQueen Edition. Optically almost identical, is the further development inside the watch. Originally the chronograph caliber 11 breathed its life, then a groundbreaking achievement: it was one of the first automatic chronograph caliber. The reissue was operated until 2009 with the TAG Heuer Caliber 17, since then it is offered with the revised Monaco Caliber 12.
Since its launch, the TAG Heuer Monaco has stood for daring and precision. It reflects pure racing, and it is these skills that can make the difference between winning and losing in motorsport. TAG Heuer continues to set new standards along this line - and recently developed the first belt-driven watch: the Monaco V4.
The company's philosophy of sporty elegance and timeless aesthetics embodies the TAG Heuer Monaco with surprising elegance.
Brand ambassador and sponsoring
Many have succumbed to the rebellious charm of TAG Heuer Monaco, including some of the big Hollywood stars.
Brad Pitt was the corporate face of the company for a full six years, wore various models - but he liked the Monaco himself, which he still owns and wears regularly. After Brad Pitt, a not less famous face took on the task: Leonardo DiCaprio became the new brand ambassador. Together with him, TAG Heuer even released a limited edition of 1,550 copies of the Link series, the "TAG Heuer Link automatic chronograph Leonardo DiCaprio Limited Edition". Another icon of film history is Samuel L. Jackson. Known from countless films and series, he also enjoys wearing the TAG Heuer Monaco.
But not only actors or athletes love the Monaco. Ever since the company was founded, TAG Heuer has been involved in the world of motorsport: The company supports world-famous athletes such as Patrick Dempsey and Tom Brady, as well as the McLaren Formula One team. Today TAG Heuer is one of the world's leading motorsport partners. As official timekeeper of many well-known races, including the FIA World Touring Car Championship and as official team performance partner of Red Bull Racing, the company's distinctive logo is often seen at sporting events.
Variants of the TAG Heuer Monaco
- The TAG Heuer Monaco Caliber 11, ref. CAW211T.FC6440, was launched to mark the 50th anniversary of the first victory of team Gulf at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. It emphasizes the historical event in bold colors, and guarantees the highest precision with the legendary Caliber 11 made in Switzerland. The watch is to have new from 5.750, - €.
- As a TAG Heuer Monaco Steve McQueen edition, ref. CW2113.FT6005, 1998, a reissue of the legendary racing chronograph was released. Powered by the caliber 17 and waterproof up to 30 meters, it impresses with the original look of the first Monaco, as Steve McQueen in the film "Le Mans" wore.
- The TAG Heuer Monaco Calibre 12, Ref. CAW2111.FC6183, is the 2009 edition of the new Steve McQueen Edition. The case has been enlarged from 38mm to 39mm and the previously used Plexiglas has been replaced by scratch resistant sapphire crystal. It is waterproof up to 100 meters, the power reserve provides over 40 hours of energy. Used you can buy this model from 3.800, - €.
- The TAG Heuer Monaco Vintage Caliber 11 Chronograph, Ref. CAW211B.FC6241, is a limited edition of 1,860 pieces on the occasion of the company's 150th anniversary. With a gray dial and red offset hands, it ensures an extremely good readability, the case back in sapphire crystal allows the view of the legendary movement inside. Why is it limited to 1,860 pieces? Just a keyword, founding year …
Exciting TAG Heuer models
- With the TAG Heuer Formula 1, the company expresses its commitment to motorsport. From 1992 to 2003, TAG Heuer supplied the most famous car race in the world. Many design elements on the dial are reminiscents of the fittings of a Formula 1 car, subtle color accents recall classic racing stripes.
- The TAG Heuer Carrera is considered the first chronograph to be specifically designed for the timing of car racing. With its clear, yet pleasantly friendly style, hand-applied luminescent indexes and characteristic ribbed crown, the Carrera has since 1964 quickly made it to the bestseller list.
- In 2015, TAG Heuer Connected entered the market of smartwatches. Due to the established operating system "Android Wear" the operation is easy, with a specially designed app different dials such as Chronograph, GMT, or Ambassador are individually determined. With a titanium case and around 30 hours of battery life, the TAG Heuer Connected collection represents a real competition for Apple.
- TAG Heuer is not only close to Motorsport. With the TAG Heuer Aquaracer 1939 followed the first waterproof wrist chronograph. The model is one of the regatta stopwatches, so it has a countdown function - the last minutes before the start can be counted backwards. The watch is waterproof up to 500 meters and is therefore also very interesting for divers.