Buy pre-owned Baume & Mercier Clifton watches
In 1918, William Baume and Paul Mercier founded the Baume & Mercier
company on the basis of the “Frères Baume” watch manufactory that had been established since 1830. Since then, the classic design language of the watches was met with widespread approval and culminated in the Clifton series
. With elegant round cases and clearly arranged dials, the diverse models in the Baume & Mercier Clifton
series range from sporty chronographs to elegant dress watches.
Visual and technical features of the Clifton
Since it was established, Baume & Mercier's desire to produce timepieces of outstanding quality has been more than fulfilled in the Clifton watch series. Whether as a model with a quartz movement
or with the new, in-house Baumatic automatic calibre
, the Clifton combines highly intricate complications with classic understated style.
The case of the Clifton
is always round in shape, made of steel, bronze or rose gold and is usually attached to the wrist by a steel or leather strap. However, Baume & Mercier also offers a sporty version of the Clifton with a rubber strap
if you prefer this style. The complications in the Clifton series range from simple three-handed watches to GMT functions, moonphase displays and date windows, as well as classic chronographs. This means that the Clifton has the ability to adapt without fail to the wearer's environment and to be useful in every situation.
In addition, the Clifton collection
has recently split into two product lines
. One line is called the “Clifton Club”
and includes the sportier watches from the collection, while the second line is known as the “Clifton Baumatic”
, which is equipped with the first “Baumatic” calibre that was specially developed in-house by Baume & Mercier and is COSC certified. This new calibre beats at a frequency of 28,800 Vph/ 4 Hz, providing impeccable precision that can be admired through the sapphire crystal case back
Baume & Mercier Clifton models and prices
- The Clifton (Ref. M0A10129) is a classic automatic chronograph with three totalisers at 6, 9 and 12 o'clock and a date and weekday display at 3 o'clock. The silver dial with rose gold hands and indices is housed in a polished stainless steel case and is attached to the wrist by a classy brown alligator leather strap.
- If you prefer something even more classic in style, you should check out the Clifton (Ref. M0A10058). This three-hand watch has a date window at 3 o'clock and hands and line indices in rose gold. The 39 mm diameter case is also in full rose gold and is rounded off by a leather strap. This watch is available at Watchmaster for just under €3,700.
- Classic, but still a touch sportier is the Clifton Ref. M0A10140 model for €2,400. This watch features a visually stunning combination of steel and rose gold and is one of the few models on a steel bracelet in the series. Another special feature here is the neat small seconds sub-dial at 6 o’clock.
- The Clifton (Ref. M0A10055) is somewhat more complicated, but still typically modest for the Clifton series. This timepiece features a complete calendar with moon phase, hand-indicated date and two windows for the month and day of the week at 12 o'clock. However, the stainless steel case and black leather strap make this model appear unpretentious and subtle despite the rose gold hands and indices.
- Baume & Mercier present another chronograph with the stylish Clifton (Ref. M0A10123) model. While it is very similar in appearance to the reference M0A10129, this model differs in particular by the blued hands of the main time and chronograph dials. This difference in colour from the other models emphasises the sporty character of this chronograph in fine fashion. For around €2,300, you can buy this watch pre-owned.
Special Clifton models
- With the Clifton Club “Shelby Cobra”, the Swiss luxury watchmaker honours Caroll Shelby, the legendary engineer behind car icons like the Shelby Cobra or the Ford Mustang Shelby GT. The chronograph's dial is reminiscent of a Shelby in sporty white and blue or in full dark blue, thus effectively evoking the colours of the famous sports cars. Small details such as the Shelby Cobra logo at the end of the second hand or the rev counter marked on one of the totalisers instantly bring a smile to the face of every watch and motorsport enthusiast.
- Besides the “Shelby Cobra” edition, the Clifton series features another special edition from the world of motorcycles. The Clifton Club “Indian” was created through a collaboration with the US motorcycle manufacturer Indian Motors Co. This special edition of the Clifton instantly reminds you of American motorcycles: big, solid and exuding a sense of freedom. The Baume & Mercier Clifton Club “Indian” radiates the “American way of life” and awakens your inner desire to drive into the sunset on Route 66.
Baume & Mercier & Me and the Clifton in the spotlight
It’s a well-known fact that luxury watchmakers are also involved in other fields such as sport and art. In addition, it’s not uncommon anymore for some manufacturers to get involved in charity projects. Looking to make a positive impact, Baume & Mercier
also launched a campaign with celebrities to raise funds for charity through the campaign “Baume & Mercier & Me”
. Celebrities who have participated in this campaign over the years include Evangeline Lilly, David Duchovny, Andy Garcia and Ashton Kutcher. Another Hollywood star, Chinese actor Chen Hun, went even further and became a brand ambassador for Baume & Mercier
, wearing an elegant model of the Clifton series
on his wrist at a launch event.
Other exciting series from Baume & Mercier
- The Capeland series consists of elegant and classic chronographs that convince just about everyone with their clear and modern lines. Make a statement with the Capeland series chronographs, showing that you honour the past but look ahead to the future with joy.
- On the contrary, the Classima series undoubtedly draws inspiration from more classic times when an evening out was synonymous with a trip to the cinema. With its classic lines, the Classima is a beautiful reminder of the Roaring Twenties and of living life to the fullest.
- The Baume & Mercier Hampton Series is named after the famous recreational area of busy New Yorkers and is available in both men's and ladies’ versions. The Hampton series features square cases and clean lines, with subtle details and sophisticated complications.
- The Hexagon is perhaps a tad more eccentric. The name says it all here really: the golden case of this delicate ladies' watch is in the shape of a hexagon.
- The Riviera collection includes models that are far more avant-garde than the other series by Baume & Mercier. The sporty, modern look of the models in this collection is pleasantly familiar and yet excitingly refreshing at the same time.