Learn more about the Breitling Chronomat
Buy Breitling Chronomat watches new, vintage and used
The story of an icon among the pilot watches
The Breitling Chronomat is not only one of Breitling's most popular watches, but also one of the flagships of the Swiss watchmaker. It comes in numerous material, bezel and color variants and offers probably the largest variety within a series of Breitling. As early as 1942, the first Chronomat came on the market, a striking pilot's watch with slide rule bezel. It facilitated complex aviation calculations, which at that time still had to be performed by the pilot himself. No wonder that the hand-wound model was especially popular with professional airmen and members of the US Army Air Force. Incidentally, its name is composed of "chronograph" and "mathematics" due to its function.
The legacy of the Ur-Chronomat lives on today in the Navitimer series, which has inherited many other optical features in addition to the characteristic slide rule bezel.
The 1984 presented Chronomat, however, has in common with the original series, especially the name. The polished bezel with the four riders is giving a masculine appearance, which made it popular beyond aviation circles. The series is inspired by the Italian squadron "Frecce Tricolori". It withstands accelerations of up to 20 G without affecting its accuracy and is equipped with the Valjoux 7750 automatic movement.
In 2004, the series got a major revision: The Chronomat Evolution is based on the design of the original from 1984, but has become larger following the general trend. In 2009 followed the Chronomat B01, which is equipped with in-house automatic Breitling B01 chronograph movement. Also visually, some changes occurred. The totalizers are now classically at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. Due to the strong changes throughout the history of the series, older models still enjoy great popularity due to their distinctive design, but the new generation has been equally well received.
A versatile watch with high recognition value
The Breitling Chronomat comes in many designs. If you like it strikingly, choose the Chronomat 44 with a large body, a smaller alternative offers, for example, the Chronomat 41. If you would like to see two time zones at a glance, opt for one of the GMT variants. The large Chronomat GMT has a case diameter of 47 mm, smaller than the Chronomat GMT 44, which, as indicated in the name with 44 mm, however, is also more suitable for larger wrists. The Chronomat is available in different materials and in various designs. Exciting are also the special editions dedicated to the aerobatic team "Frecce Tricolori".
Interesting models of the Chronomat series
- The Breitling Chronomat A13050.1 is a classic model of the series with four riders on the stainless steel bezel and totalizers at 6, 9 and 12 o'clock. It is equipped with chronograph function and date window at 3 o'clock. Its case is slightly smaller at 39 mm, but their striking design makes up for it quickly.
- The Breitling Chronomat AB042011 is made entirely of stainless steel; the 24 hour scale on the bezel makes it the ideal companion for frequent travelers. Equipped with the Breitling Caliber 04, it offers perfect accuracy. With a 44 mm case diameter, it is one of the larger models in the series.
- The Breitling Chronomat B13352 is mostly made of stainless steel. On bezel and dial, it has highlights of rose gold, which form a nice contrast. The black totalizers merge visually with the black dial, the gold-white hands and indices give it a noble look.
- The Breitling Chronomat AB014012.BA52.378A with 41 mm case diameter is a smaller version of the pilot's watch with automatic movement. Case and bezel are made of stainless steel, three white totalizers are classically at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock and visually stand out from the black dial.
More exciting Breitling series
- As a diver's watch, the Breitling Avenger is ideal for professional use. In wet and dry conditions alike. It is robust, sporty and yet elegant. In 2013, the Avenger II Seawolf and Avenger II GMT were joined by a new generation of excellent timepieces.
- The Breitling Colt was originally intended for military use. It is a good entry-level model, functional yet aesthetically pleasing. They are available as men's and women's watches in different sizes and variations.
- Another divers watch from Breitling is the Breitling Superocean series. It is sporty-elegant and has, with its one-way rotatable tachymeter bezel, highest recognition value. It is used by professional divers as well as in the leisure sector.
- The Breitling Navitimer is a classic icon among aviator watches. Its characteristic slide rule bezel helped it due to high recognition value also outside the aviation to great popularity.