Buy Breitling Chronomat watches pre-owned and vintage
Breitling Chronomat: A versatile watch with high recognition value
The Breitling Chronomat
comes in many versions. If you prefer something more distinctive, choose the Chronomat 44
with a 44 mm case. A smaller alternative is the Chronomat 41
, for example. Those who would like to see two time zones at a glance should opt for one of the GMT variants. The large Chronomat GMT
has a case diameter of 47 mm, while the Chronomat GMT 44
is somewhat smaller with its 44 mm diameter, but is also suitable for larger wrists. The Chronomat is available in different materials and in a wide variety of finishes. The special editions dedicated to the Italian aerobatic team "Frecce Tricolori" are also particularly appealing.
BREITLING CHRONOMAT 44 GMT AB042011.BB56.375A
Interesting models of the Chronomat series
BREITLING CHRONOMAT 44 RAVEN MB0111C2.BD07.153S.M20DSA
- The Breitling Chronomat (Ref. A13048) is a classic model of the series with four riders on the stainless steel bezel and totalizers at 6, 9 and 12 o'clock. It is equipped with a chronograph function and a date window at 3 o'clock. Its case is slightly smaller at 40 mm, but its striking design makes up for it quickly.
- The Breitling Chronomat 44 GMT (Ref. AB042011) is made entirely of stainless steel; the 24-hour scale on the bezel makes it the ideal companion for frequent travellers. Equipped with the Breitling Caliber 04, it offers perfect accuracy. With a 44 mm case diameter, it is one of the larger models in the series.
- The Breitling Chronomat (Ref. B13352) is mostly made of stainless steel. On bezel and dial, it has highlights of yellow gold, which form a nice contrast. The black totalizers merge visually with the black dial, the gold-white hands and indices give it a noble look.
- The Breitling Chronomat (Ref. B13050.1) with 38 mm case diameter is a smaller version of the pilot's watch with automatic movement. Case and bezel are made of stainless steel with partially yellow gold details, three white totalizers are classically at 6, 9 and 12 o'clock and visually stand out with a golden border from the white dial.
The story of an icon among the pilot watches
The Breitling Chronomat
is one of Breitling's best-selling watches
and one of the most iconic timepieces of the Swiss watch company. It comes in numerous material, bezel and colour variants, and probably offers the greatest variety within one series among Breitling watches. The first Chronomat
was launched as early as 1942: a distinctive pilot's watch with a slide rule bezel
. It facilitated complex aviation calculations, which at that time still had to be carried out by the pilot himself. No wonder, then, that the hand-wound model was in demand above all among professional aviators and members of the US Army Air Force. The name Chronomat
is a combination of the words "chronograph" and "mathematics"
referring to its functions.
The legacy of the original Chronomat lives on today in the Navitimer series, which, in addition to the characteristic slide rule bezel, has inherited many other visual features from the Chronomat. The Breitling Chronomat, on the other hand, which was introduced in 1984, has mainly its name in common with the original series. The polished bezel with the four tabs gives it a masculine look that made it popular even beyond aviation circles. The series is inspired by the Italian aviation squadron "Frecce Tricolori". The models can withstand accelerations of up to 20 G without their accuracy being affected. The series is equipped with the Valjoux 7750 automatic movement.
In 2004, the series was given an update: the Chronomat Evolution
is based on the design of the original from 1984, but has become somewhat larger following general trends. In 2009, the Chronomat B01
followed, equipped with the in-house Breitling B01 automatic chronograph movement. There were also some visual changes. The totalisers are now classically positioned at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. Due to the major changes throughout the history of the series, older models still enjoy great popularity because of their distinctive design. However, the new generations have been equally well received.
Other exciting Breitling series
- As a diver's watch, the Breitling Avenger is ideal for professional use. In wet and dry conditions alike. It is robust, sporty and yet elegant. In 2013, the Avenger II Seawolf and Avenger II GMT were joined by a new generation of excellent timepieces.
- The Breitling Colt was originally intended for military use. It is a good entry-level model, functional yet aesthetically pleasing. They are available as men's and women's watches in different sizes and variations.
- Another divers watch from Breitling is the Breitling Superocean series. It has a sporty-elegant look and the highest recognition value thanks to its unidirectional rotatable tachymeter bezel. It is used by professional divers as well as in the leisure sector.
- The Breitling Navitimer 01 is a classic icon among aviator watches. Its characteristic slide rule bezel helped it due to high recognition value also outside the aviation to great popularity.