Buy Frederique Constant new, certified pre-owned and vintage
Surprise! The rise of a young brand!
The company Frederique Constant was founded in 1988 by Aletta Bax and Doctor Peter Constant Stas in Geneva. Peter Stas descends in the fourth generation of Constant Stas (1880 - 1967), who was one of the two eponyms. Together with Frederique Schreiner (1881 - 1969) founded already 1904 a company that produced printed dials for the growing watch industry. The name Frederique Constant can therefore be clearly attributed to the two founders and their first names from the 19th century.
As Aletta Bax and Peter Stas dedicated their free time to the conception of watches even before the founding of the independent family business. In 1992 the first collection with six different models was presented.
In 2001, Frederique Constant dedicated himself to the development and production of his own manufacturing caliber. The first caliber was the Heart Beat Caliber (Cal. FC-910), which is available today with various complications. Incidentally, anyone who buys a new Frederique Constant Double Heart Beat today does not just indulge themselves - with each watch sold, the company donates $ 50 to various organizations that fight against children's heart disease. In this area, Frederique Constant is very active anyway: Various charities are actively promoted and supported, regular charity events and donation events take place.
Four years after the founding of the brand, as we know it today, in 2002 they bought the Swiss watch manufacturer Alpina.
In 2006, the factory moved to its headquarters in Plan-les-Ouates, a Geneva suburb in the immediate vicinity of Rolex, Patek Philippe and Vacheron Constantin.
Two years later, the creation of the second manufactory caliber began. Clear specifications were set for this: The components of the Heart Beat Manufacture should be revised and the production costs reduced by at least 30%. The quality standards of the Caliber FC-910 should not be neglected. The result was the caliber Maxime Manufacture (Cal. FC-700), which was accompanied by great savings, which could then be passed on to customers - for the first time a Swiss watch manufacturer offered a watch with a manufacture caliber for less than € 2,000!
In 2008 Frederique Constant launched the first tourbillon manufacture movement. It has an escapement wheel made of silicon, which in contrast to conventional escapement wheels made of stainless steel requires no lubrication and has only ⅕ of the weight.
Since its founding in 1988, the company has experienced a steady boom. Due to the motivation and innovative strength of the young owners, the company grew by up to 50% annually until 2003. It should not be forgotten that the luxury watch market is highly competitive, both locally and internationally, the competition is huge.
In May 2016, the Swiss Frederique Constant Group was acquired by the Japanese watchmaker "Citizen". Besides Frederique Constant and Alpina, Ateliers de Monaco is also a member of the merger. The latter company was also co-founded by Peter Stas.
The company's production site is now spreading over 3,200 square meters over four floors. Under one roof here are component manufacturing, caliber and watch composition as well as the extensive quality control. At the same time, the building serves as the international headquarters of the Frederique Constant brand.
Frederique Constant vintage watches as an investment?
It is no longer a secret, in recent years, the market for luxury watches as an investment has become more and more in the limelight. In fact, high profits can sometimes be made with the right watch.
But which one is the right watch? Unfortunately, there is no direct answer to this question. But we can give you a few hints on what to look for when buying a watch for investment reasons.
On the one hand the reputation of the manufacturer is decisive, a brand like Frederique Constant is not unknown and can look back on family-knowledge and thus tradition outside the company's history. The longer the history of a manufacturer, the higher the potential of a watch to develop profitability.
The location of a brand makes a difference. Switzerland is regarded as a horological mecca and symbolically stands for the highest quality. Brands from Switzerland often have an advantage in value preservation, Frederique Constant as a neighbor of the very big ones in the industry has a geographical advantage in this point.
Of course, the state of a watch is crucial. Vintage watches in particular can be good investments - if they are well preserved.
But also the number of specimens produced can contribute to the increase in value. The fewer models in circulation, the higher the prices can develop.
Last but not least, the watch should be special. Should it be through rare functions or advertisements, in regards of the future, such complications hold great potential - true to the motto "more is always better".
Vintage Frederique Constant watches meet these criteria. The brand is still relatively young, but perhaps that is the advantage: Today, the models are still relatively cheap, but could turn out to be much more expensive in the future.
Whatever one ultimately decides, a thorough research should be a prerequisite for the purchase decision.
Top 5 reasons to buy a Frederique Constant
- Cheap watches - manufactory calibers made in Swiss quality at fair prices
- Heart affair - Frederique Constant is an active supporter in the fight against heart disease
- Elegant classic watches - The models of the brand have a timeless design
- Family affairs - The management of the manufactory is still in family hands. Not only its name, but also the values are still reminiscent of Constant Stas, who already had the watchmaking trade four generations earlier in the family.
- Investment - In recent years, the company has grown rapidly, the basic requirements are right. Who knows how the brand will develop?
The 5 most desired models
- Frederique Constant Tourbillon Perpetual Calendar - Combining the ultimate in precision in one collection, the Manufacture has clearly succeeded in this challenge. It contains a silicon escapement wheel, an intelligent counterbalance wheel and a tourbillon cage. With a price over € 19,000 in new condition this is the most expensive collection of Frederique Constant, but also the most sophisticated and definitely an eye-catcher.
- Frederique Constant Vintage Rally - In recognition of its partnership with the car brand Austin Healey, Frederique Constant presents every year timepieces from the Vintage Rally collection. They are always limited to 2,888 pieces and reflect the passion of motorsport in every little screw. Because the manufacturer was for a long time official timekeeper for many classic car rallies all over the world. Equipped with a chronograph movement and two auxiliary dials, these watches have their own charm.
- Frederique Constant Slimline - The models are kept absolutely classic. Dials have either subtle stick indices or fine Roman numerals. The clou of these watches is already in the name: they are incredibly flat. Because the installed movements measure a maximum of 3.6 mm in height. This allows a design that makes it easy to disappear under any buttoned shirt sleeve.
- Frederique Constant Classics - Perfect lines and classic appearance, these are the key features of this series. With complications such as Moonphase or Heart Beat (free view of the movement in the upper part of the dial), GMT functions and date display, the Classics collection is also the most multifaceted.
- Frederique Constant Runabout - The watches are dedicated to the since 2009 existing partnership with the Association for the Preservation and Restoration of classic Riva boats, "Riva Historical Society". Based on the nautical style, both the stainless steel and rose gold versions are limited to exactly 2,888 pieces. The case diameter is 42mm, the date window is at six o'clock.
Luxury watches for everyone - the corporate philosophy
The Frederique Constant brand lives up to its credo of offering Swiss luxury watches at affordable prices. About his company and its culture, the founder Dr. Peter Constant Stas in an interview: "We are a young passionate watchmaker from Geneva, who makes beautiful timepieces for dynamic people. Our mission is to make Swiss luxury watches accessible to the customer at reasonable prices.
From the beginning we wanted to produce classic Swiss watches at attractive prices. We were in our early thirties, newly married and practically without any budget. No complaints about our salary, but it would have been far from enough for a watch of 15,000 CHF. Nevertheless, we were very interested in beautiful high-quality Swiss timepieces. So we were our own target group of consumers. It is important to know that Frederique Constant still pursues the same concept and positioning. We believe in the original concept and business model."
In fact, the watches that are made by the manufactory confirm this claim: They are relatively cheap, but not inferior in quality. In addition, the company transfers the savings from process optimization to the list prices of its models; the beneficiaries are the customers of Frederique Constant.
Frederique Constant prices in comparison
Frederique Constant used means Frederique Constant cheap!
Frederique Constant Runabout (Ref. FC-350RMG5B6)
Price: New 1.595 € / Used 1.250 € (2018)
Features: Manufacture caliber FC-350, 38 hours power reserve, 42mm diameter, guilloche dial with GMT function and white offset GMT hands, date window
Frederique Constant Healey Chronograph (Ref. FC392HSDG6B6)
Price: New not available anymore / Used 2.580 € (2013)
Features: Manufacture caliber FC-392, 42mm diameter, silver dial with chronograph function, limited edition
Frederique Constant Slimline Automatic (Ref. FC312V4S4)
Price: New 1.995 € / Used 1.500 € (2017)
Features: Manufacture caliber FC-312 with Heart Beat, 42h power reserve, 40mm diameter, silver dial with indexes and hands in rose gold, heart beat at twelve o'clock.
The fastest way: finance Frederique Constant!
Buy Frederique Constant certified second hand at Watchmaster
You're thinking about getting a Frederique Constant? At Watchmaster, as a dealer of certified, used luxury watches, you will always find a selection of Frederique Constant watches.
Have you already decided on a used Frederique Constant watch? Congratulations, because a used luxury watch is above all one thing: Much cheaper than a new modell from the manufacturer. At Watchmaster, you can also be sure that your chosen watch will arrive in the best possible condition - each model is checked for authenticity by our master watchmakers, visually and technically prepared, and then certified.
You can now conveniently pay for your new watch by credit card, PayPal or Bank Transfer. Alternatively, Watchmaster offers you the option of financing. Just set the amount of the down payment and the installment yourself and so create your own individual financing plan. You are also welcome to contact our customer service by phone or email for further action.