Buy Panerai Luminor Marina watches new, certified pre-owned and vintage
The outstanding career of a trendsetter
In the 1990s Panerai launched the Panerai Luminor Marina for the first time. Originally it was developed for the Italian Navy which was initially the only customer. The timepiece is very robust, almost martial - reduced to the essentials. High comfort and optimum use are always in the focus of the production.
Almost overnight, the watch became a surprise hit which no one had expected.
Previously, the Panerai Luminor Base was launched on the market, this model also gained an unexpected popularity. Nobody in the company itself nor in professional circles expected such a success, especially since Panerai was still quite unknown. In retrospect, both the Panerai Luminor Base and the Panerai Luminor Marina can diligently call it a pioneer for the ensuing wave of oversized watches. Because that's exactly what happened shortly after - the trend went to flashy, big timepieces.
This development was owed to the launch of such a timepieces from the Italian manufactory. Panerai in return owes its success to some masculine Hollywood stars, ultimately answering the question of whether Sylvester Stallone has initiated a new trend with his love for Panerai. But more about the details later.
The Panerai Luminor Marina in detail
The Panerai Luminor Marina is due to its waterressistance of 30bar pressure the diving watch of the collection. Its dial is strikingly simple, the Arabic numerals themselves are of course coated with lumisence mass. Likewise, the hands, hour and minute. In addition, the seconds can be read on a sub-dial at nine o'clock. Depending on the model, there is also a date window at three o'clock.
One feature that immediately catches the eye is the crown protection. A locking lever secures the crown and reliably prevents accidental adjustment or even damage. It represents a characteristic design element, which also contains a meaningful function.
The case of the timepiece measures 44 mm in diameter and is 15 mm high. It is made of matte titanium or polished stainless steel 316L. The latter material is often used in the watch industry, it contains both chrome and nickel and is therefore resistant to corrosion and acid.
The heart of the series is either the P.5000 caliber, a completely from Officine Panerai-designed caliber with a power reserve of up to 192 hours (eight days), or the exclusive P.3001 manual wind movement. It based on the ETA 6497-2 and has been certified by the Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres (COSC). It has a power reserve of 72 hours (or three days).
The watch glass is made of anti-reflective sapphire crystal and is 3.5 mm thick. The screwed caseback is also made of sapphire crystal. It is made from the synthetically produced mineral corundum.
A sturdy watch for strong arms
From Italy via Hollywood to the world
After economic difficulties in the early stages of the company's history, it was a solid man named Sylvester Stallone who set foundation for the brand’s success. On a visit to Florence, he discovered a boutique of Panerai - and was mesmerized on sport by the Luminor series models he found there. He bought several specimens for himself, but also to gave them to his friends. Among them Arnold Schwarzenegger: He and Stallone wore the watches on their own during the filming of various films. Since the extremely masculine watch has a high recognition value and the two Hollywood giants not few fans, the company gained almost overnight a place on the same level as other well-known luxury watch manufacturers. Other stars have also caught attention: in "San Andreas", the Panerai Luminor Submersible is on the wrist of Dwayne Johnson. Brad Pitt and Pierce Brosnan both wear a Panerai Luminor Marina. Even Orlando Bloom, Adrien Brody, Robin Williams, Heidi Klum and Bill Clinton own a Luminor, the list of prominent owners seems endless.
The current collection and Panerai Luminor Marina prices
Panerai Luminor Marina used - Panerai Luminor Marina affordable
The current collection includes 15 model variants with different dials, case sizes from 40 to 47 millimeters and different bracelets. The most popular models of these are the following:
- The Panerai Luminor Marina 1950 3 Days Acciaio (Ref. PAM00422) has the largest case of the series with 47 mm diameters. Its functions are limited to hour, minute and small second, in addition it has on the back of the case an indication of the remaining energy reserve. Its dial is kept in deep black. The watch is available new from 9.300, - €, who would prefer to buy the Luminor Marina cheap should take look into the online shop of Watchmaster: Here is the 2017 model used in very good condition with box and original papers offered for 6.610, - €.
- The Panerai Luminor Marina 8 Days Acciaio (Ref. PAM00563) is a little smaller, but with 44mm still not to be overseen. Its dial radiates white, the black numerals stand out clearly and perfectly readable. The Caliber P.5000 offers an impressive power reserve of eight days. This model also has hour, minute and the small seconds at nine o'clock. The EIA is available at 6.400, - €. Watchmaster offers them for 5.600, - € in new condition, which, of course, includes original box and papers.
- Probably the most classic model is the Panerai Luminor Marina (Ref. PAM00111). A stainless steel case, a black dial with white numerals and stick indexes. Simple, functional and 43mm in diameter make it very popular. Used it is in very good condition as a full set already from available for 3.790, - €.
- The price wise leading model of the current collection is the Panerai Luminor Marina 8 Days Oro Rosso (Ref. PAM00511). It is also 44 mm wide, but its case is made of rose gold. The Caliber Panerai P.5000 also ticks inside. The dial is dark brown - which harmonises very well with the same-colored leather bracelet. With a price of 20.900, - € in new condition it is rather expensive.
More exciting Panerai series
- The Panerai Luminor Base was launched in the 1990s. At first glance, it looks very much like the Luminor Marina, but the Base only shows hours and minutes in puristic design. It is available with white or black dial and starts used in very good condition from 3.440, - € (Ref. PAM00114).
- With the Panerai Luminor Submersible, the company succeeded the reinterpreting of a diver's watch. Which was designed in 1956 for the Egyptian Navy. The watch is home to an automatic movement and a unidirectional rotating bezel, which also has an increased grip for use under water. It is available from 4.430, - € (Ref. PAM00025).
- The Panerai Radiomir pays homage to Panerai's first watch. Already in 1938, the company used a substance derived from zinc sulfate, mesothorium and radium bromide to illuminate the hands and digits in the dark. Therefore, the name of the series is derived. What the watch does not have is the crown protection bridge, but it looks less brutal despite it 45mm diameter. You can get a Radiomir from 4.240, - € (Ref. PAM00183).
- As an Italian manufactory, Panerai had a partnership with Ferrari until 2010. From this alliance emerged some very interesting models. The watches are popular because they are simply no longer built today. They are called “Panerai Ferrari” and reflect both companies: the typical case shape of Panerai, paired with a dial inspired by racing. The proud Ferrari logo emblazoned on twelve o'clock. The small seconds reminded with their red hand and red scaled to a quarter strongly on a tachometer.
You can get these exceptional timepieces already from 3.630, - € (Ref. FER00003).
The fastest way: Finance the Panerai Luminor Marina!
Panerai Luminor Marina certified used
A cheap Panerai is hard to find. But among the numerous certified, used luxury watches in the online shop of Watchmaster are always models of the Italian brand represented.
These can then conveniently be purchased by credit card, PayPal or by bank transfer. Alternatively, Watchmaster offers you affordable financing options for your desired Panerai. In the order process, put together your own installment plan, determine the duration and amount of the down payment yourself and expect your new luxury watch in just a few days!