Finance a Rolex Datejust watch - An easy way to purchase your own luxury watch
Second-hand Rolex Datejust watches are cheaper to buy than you may think. The online shop from Watchmaster offers a big variety of certified pre-owned luxury watches, including many Datejust models. Our customer service will stay by your side during the entire purchase process. If you have chosen your favourite watch you can easily pay by credit card or Paypal within a few clicks as well as the option of installments and financing which offers you to be flexible.
Rolex Datejust - the first watch with an automatic date display
The Rolex Datejust is simple and brilliant at the same time. Rolex calls her "the modern archetypes of the wristwatch," and is clearly a classic in the Oyster Perpetual range. As the name implies, it is characterized by the date display at 3 o'clock, which automatically changes to the next day at midnight within milliseconds. Other watches of this time with date display required several hours to change the date. Vintage Datejust models are as popular with watch lovers as the new collections.
The Datejust is one of the very early introduced Rolex models and has nevertheless, over time, only a few improvements and slight changes experienced: The bezel was changed from a smooth ring bezel to the grooved bezel, the case became slimmer as the movements became more space-saving and the today for Rolex so characteristic date magnifying glass was developed only 9 years after the introduction of the wristwatch. Models of the current collection are clearly in the tradition of the originals; the Datejust has always maintained its unmistakable recognition value.
Rolex Datejust 126334
Interesting models and prices of the Rolex Datejust in the overview
The Datejust comes in a variety of designs, which differ by material, dials, indexes and bracelets. If you like it more striking, you can also opt for models with diamonds (ref. 116233).
- The Rolex Lady-Datejust 69173 is a wristwatch from the women's collection in stainless steel and white gold. The dial comes in black, the grooved bezel is made of white gold. The suggested retail price is 4,020 €.
- The Rolex Datejust 116234 is a ladies watch with steel Jubilé bracelet. With a white dial and white golden bezel, it is a noble eye-catcher. This watch is a certified pre-owned unisex model and the suggested retail price is 6,150 €.
- The Rolex Lady Datejust is a ladies watch with bi-color yellow and steel Jubilé bracelet. With champagne-colored dial and golden bezel, it is a noble eye-catcher.The suggested retail price is 3.360 €.
- The Rolex Datejust 116200 is a classic unixsex stainless steel watch with a domed bezel and 36mm case. Its dial is provided with stick indexes and it is equipped with an Oyster bracelet. The suggested retail price is 6,050 €.
- The Rolex Datejust 126334 is a classic model of white gold and steel. The black dial is equipped with stick indices and the watch has a white gold grooved bezel. The suggested retail price is 7,700 €.
- The Rolex Datejust 116233 is a Rolesor model with Jubilé strap in stainless steel and yellow gold. The golden grooved bezel complements perfectly with the dial with Roman numerals in gold. The suggested retail price is 11,450 €.
The story of Datejust - a new flagship for Rolex's 40th birthday
For the first time the Datejust was introduced in 1945 for the 40th birthday of Rolex and was immediately accepted with enthusiasm. It is the first watch with a waterproof Oyster case from Rolex, which received the now typical Rolex automatic changing date display at 3 o'clock, then an absolute novelty! For their introduction, the Jubilé bracelet was also specially developed, which stands out with its delicate design. Today the Jubilé bracelet is one of the Rolex trademarks and many Rolex watches are available with Jubilé bracelet. At that time, it was available exclusively with the Datejust.
The first reference 4467 came in yellow gold, later introduced in other versions in steel, rose gold and bi-color. The grooved bezel, typical of Rolex, today also replaced the previous ring bezel from 1950 onwards. Characteristic of the early models is the bulbous bottom, which is also referred to as "bubble back". It provided enough space for the automatic movement with the caliber 730, which guaranteed the excellent accuracy of the wristwatch. Over time, the back slimmed down by introducing new caliber. Already in 1957 the watch became flatter thanks to the new Caliber 1065. The magnifying glass, which has become a distinguishing feature of Rolex today, was introduced in 1954.
In response to the competition from Japan and America, Rolex released the Quartz Date Ref. 5100 in 1970, which proved to be unsuccessful. It was followed in 1977 by the also less popular Oysterquartz Datejust ref. 17000
developed by Rolex itself wich gave company to mountain climber Reinhold Messner on his way up to the “Top of the World” - the Mount Everst.
In 2009, the Datejust II
was introduced, which retained many features of the classic Datejust, with 41 mm, however, received a larger case. At Baselworld 2017, the Datejust II was then completely replaced by the Datejust 41. With the Lady-Datejust
Rolex launched a more elegant women's version, which does well on narrower wrists thanks to its smaller body. It comes with the prominent date at 3 o'clock and is a classic among women's watches.
Especially for early models of the Datejust it is often difficult to find spare parts. Well-preserved models are therefore particularly valuable. At the same time, the production models are experiencing a constant increase in value over the years. Between 1994 and 2016, the value increased by 221%.
The introduction of automatic date display
The Rolex Datejust is characterized by classic design combined with high functionality. Its simple yet elegant appearance makes it perfect as a dress watch. Today, the date display on Rolex watches seems to us a matter of course, but when it was introduced, it was an exciting innovation that made life easier for many people and led to greater functionality of the watches. The date display at 3 o'clock is enlarged by a factor of 2.5 by the cyclops magnifying glass, thus making reading easier. At the same time, over the years it has become a significant feature of Rolex wristwatches and now graces other models as well. The Datejust comes in different sizes: from the 28mm Lady-Datejust to the Datejust II, whose case measures 41mm, there is something for everyone.
Well-known wearers of the Datejust - presidents and movie stars
The Datejust is an absolute classic among the watches from Rolex. So it is not surprising that she was regularly spotted on the greats of world history. Photographs prove that, for example, Martin Luther King owned a Rolex Datejust. Founder Hans Wilsdorf
had come up with something very special for the production of the 100,000th officially certified Rolex watch: He gave the watch to Winston Churchill
, whom he described as one of the most important figures of his time. Churchill received an Oyster Perpetual Datejust in 18k gold, white dial and Jubilé bracelet. This tradition continued when the 150,000th certified wristwatch was fitted to U.S. President Dwight. D. Eisenhower. He was wearing a ref. 6305 made of solid gold. U.S. President Ronald Reagan also has numerous pictures with his Datejust.
Also in well-known Hollywood productions the Datejust is represented. For example, they are found on Christian Bale's wrist in "American Psycho" (2000). Paul Newman also wore a Datejust in his Oscar-winning role as Eddie Felson in "The Color of Money" (1986).
More interesting Rolex series
- As an entry level model, the Rolex Air-King is recommended. Worn by British fighter pilots during World War II, it impresses with its striking size and classic-simple Rolex design.
- The Rolex Daytona is named after the eponymous car race at the Daytona International Speedway in Florida. With tachymeter display on the bezel, it is not only for racers a useful companion.
- The Rolex Submariner is the classic among diving watches and an absolute icon. Even James Bond showed that she wears both a tuxedo and a diving suit.
- The Rolex GMT-Master is the pilot's watch series from Rolex. It is still associatively linked to the luxury airline Pan Am and, thanks to the display of multiple time zones, it is not only interesting for frequent travelers.
- The Rolex Milgauss can withstand magnetic fields of up to 1000 Gauss without being influenced in their accuracy. Characteristic is her orange arrow-shaped hand, which makes her a special eye-catcher.