Buy Rolex GMT-Master II watches new, certified pre-owned and vintage
Rolex Pilot's Watch - The GMT-Master II
The original target audience of the Rolex GMT-Master, were pilots and crew personnel of the airline Pan American Airlines. The airline asked Rolex about a timepiece when intercontinental flights became more and more affordable and a watch that allows its employees to simultaneously survey the time at its departure and destination location. Today, the Rolex GMT-Master II is no longer exclusive popular with pilots. Athletes and collectors appreciate the iconic watch as an elegant watch for all situations. The Rolex GMT-Master II has, in addition to a second, minute and hour hand, as its predecessor the Rolex GMT-Master, an additional 24-hour hand, which makes it possible to display two different time zones simultaneously.
Also characteristic is the eye-catching 24-hour bezel, which is bicoloured on most models.
Interesting models of the GMT-Master II
Due to the huge variety in color and material combinations that Rolex has developed for the GMT-Master II, there is something for everyone.
- If you like it classic you should definitely take a look at GMT-Master II 116710LN which comes with a black bezel. It costs around 10,000 € in certified pre-owned condition (2015). The case size is 40 mm and fits a man's hand perfectly. Inside, the Rolex calibre 3186 is ticking.
- If you like it a bit more extraordinary, you should probably take a closer look at the blue-red bezel of the Pepsi and black-red bezel of the Coke which both belong to GMT-Master II ref 16710. Another special reference is GMT-Master II Ref.16760 which also comes with a black-red bezel and is called "Fat Lady". All these watches have an extraordinary recognition value and are both sporty yet elegant. In addition, they are certainly one of the most value stable Rolex watches, as they are not only appreciated by watch connoisseurs worldwide.
- If these watches are still too unobtrusive, perhaps the Rolex GMT-Master II 116713LN could be the right watch for you. With its black ceramic bezel and black dial, the timepiece looks timelessly elegant, but with its bright golden numerals and the silver-gold metal bracelet, it immediately catches eyes.
- Especially nice is of course the latest GMT-Master II 126710BLRO with the striking "Pepsi" coloring, which is based on the original GMT-Master and was presented at Baselworld in 2018. This watch is a perfect match of modern elegance and tradition.
Famous GMT-Master and GMT-Master II bearers
The GMT-Master and GMT-Master II are absolute icons of Rolex watches. That's why it's not surprising that you can find this watch on many wrists of well-known people and in film productions.
By displaying the different time zones, the watch is especially popular with people who travel a lot or work in different locations.
One of the best known wearers of the GMT-Master is Honor Blackman, known as Pussy Galore - the Bond Girl of the movie "Goldfinger". In the film she wears the famous Rolex GMT-Master (ref 6542).
Orlando Bloom and Pablo Picasso were also photographed with the iconic GMT-Master (Ref. 1675) with the distinctive "Pepsi" coloring. Although Daniel Craig as James Bond usually wears an Omega watch on his arm and has been the official brand ambassador since 2010, he privately enjoys wearing Rolex watches. In his collection is the vintage Rolex Submariner (ref 6538) and the classic GMT-Master also with the blue-red "Pepsi" coloring.
The exciting history of GMT-Master II
The GMT-Master was introduced in 1954 for the first time and enjoyed great popularity from the beginning. Pilots could now have an overview of the time of two different time zones without having to lose precision. The bezel was back then blue-red (also known as "Rolex Pepsi") colored to symbolize the times of day and night. In 1983, the popular series was then extended by the Rolex GMT-Master II, which has been produced exclusively since 1999.
With the new series, also a new charismatic coloring in black and red (also known as "Rolex Cola") was introduced. The biggest difference between the GMT-Master II and its predecessor is the individually adjustable hour hand. Thanks to this innovation, it is now possible for the wearer to have three, rather than just two, time zones in view. The design of the GMT-Master II is very similar to the original design of the GMT-Master until today, giving the watch an unmistakable recognition value. Due to many different color variations, this classic watch still offers space for individual preferences.
An additional development is the bezel insert material. The GMT-Master II models have used ceramic instead of aluminum since the introduction of the 116710 LN to improve scratch and colorfading resistance.
More interesting Rolex series
- The Rolex Air-King was worn by British fighter pilots during World War II. It has the classic rolex design and is therefore ideal as a beginner model.
- The Rolex Daytona was named after the car race at the Daytona International Speedway. With the handy Tachymeter this clock is both unusual and elegant.
- The classic among luxury watches, the Rolex Submariner, is an absolute must for every watch collector and lover. James Bond has already shown that she adapts to every situation in a sporty and elegant manner. Whether in a suit or diving, the Rolex Submariner is always the perfect companion.
- For anyone who wants to stand out in style, the Rolex Milgauss is the right choice. With the orange second hand, the watch is definitely an eye-catcher. It also withstands magnetic fields of up to 1000 Gauss without losing accuracy.
- The design of the Rolex Datejust is kept simple, so it convinces with restrained-elegant style. Their excellent accuracy and date switching within milliseconds made the Datejust famous.