Buy U-Boat watches - new, certified pre-owned & vintage
The history of the italian manufacturer: U-Boat
The luxury watch brand U-Boat Italo Fontana was founded in 2000 by Italo Fontana and is still managed by him today. But the Italian timepieces are not really as young as they seem here.
Already in 1942, Italo's uncle, Ilvo Fontana, received a contract from the Italian Navy. He was commissioned to design a new watch for the Italian Navy and especially for their U-Boat Commands. He designed a suitable model, but unfortunately failed on the requirements of the Navy - the job was definitely a challenge. To meet the high quality standards of the Navy in compliance with detailed technical specifications and to ensure maximum readability and reliability in all light and time conditions, a task to big for Ilvo Fontana.
But the plans that he had designed at that time reappeared years later - in the hands of his nephew, Italo Fontana. He recognized the potential of his uncle's creative power and opened a factory in Lucca shortly after the turn of the millennium. The old drawings are evidence of creativity, but unfortunately did not meet the expectations of the former clients. But in the 21st century his uncle's ideas are the ideal source of inspiration for unusual timepieces.
Today U-Boat sells handmade pieces, which are characterized by a strong personality. Very large, martial-looking watches are the trademark, they look very solid and convey security and strength. In addition to their size, the placement of the crown on the left side is particularly eye-catching. On the watch market, only a few models of other manufacturers can be found, whose crown is on the left. This is one of the main features of U-Boat. It is both an unmistakable design element of the brand and a practical design feature. Having the crown mounted on the left of the case brings the advantage of higher wearing comfort as the crown would never poke into the wrist of the wearer even with the large diameters of the U-Boat watches. Also interesting are the highlighted numbers four, eight and twelve. Even so, the brand is different, because the triangular arrangement makes every viewer look at several times.
A U-Boat as an investment?
It takes courage to buy a U-Boat watch as an investment. The background is that the manufacturer from Italy is comparatively young. Most watches, which turn out to be a sensible investment, come from well-known manufacturers with a long tradition. But exceptions confirm the rule, who bought a Rolex in 1958, when the company was still in its infancy, can today look forward to an immense increase in value. Who knows, maybe U-Boat will be trading at a multiple of today's price in a few years? We can not make a clear statement in this regard. However, U-Boat Italo Fontana fulfills an indicator that makes it much more likely to increase in value. By limiting models to small numbers, these often achieve high prices on the used market, since demand is usually higher than supply.
The company was founded in 2000, so you can not speak of U-Boat Vintage watches yet. But the watch you are investing in today surely your grandchildren will call Vintage and maybe sell them profitably. Ultimately, the purchase of a watch is about the personal taste.
Why buy a certified U-Boat second hand?
- Design - The watches made by U-Boat bear witness to creativity, courage and strength.
- Extraordinary - no doubt special. Such a watch radiates personality!
Robust - Just as the timepieces are designed, so they tick. Solid and unbreakable, in short: Robust.
- Diving depth - Under water on land U-Boat watches can take a lot. Depending on the model, pressures of up to 100 bar are no problem.
The 4 most popular models
Speaking of U-Boat watches, it must be clear that the models are primarily design objects. The movement and the materials used are very high quality, but the look is always in the foreground for designer Italo Fontana.
- The U-Boat Classico 1001 (Ref. 6448) is not a diver's watch as defined, as it lacks the rotating bezel. Nevertheless, it has reached a simulated depth of 1,001 meters in the laboratory and is therefore pressure resistant up to 100 bar. On the side of the case is the serial number, the rubber strap ends in a steel clasp. The proven ETA automatic caliber 2824 works inside the watch.
- With the U-Boat U-42 Unicum (Ref. 7093), the Italian manufactory presents a 54 mm timepiece. A brown dial and bracelet, paired with a titanium case and black bezel look massive. The special feature of this model is the fold-out crown - only after opening the closing mechanism and aligning the crown in the horizontal position, the watch can be set. Also, the rotatable bezel is provided with a locking clasp, but on the side facing away from the crown.
- At the U-Boat Classico Tungsteno Cas 1 (Ref. 7430) the patented crown protector can be found at eight o'clock. The model is also a chronograph whose bezel is made of tungsten, the most durable material. The watch withstands up to 10bar of pressure against water.
- The U-Boat Thousands of Feet Gold Screws (Ref. 5328) is a tribute to the founder and uncle of the founder, Ilvo Fontana. The watch comes from his drawings and today is hard to come by. It is a visual reminiscent to a gauge in a submarine or airplane, differs a little from the rest of the collections of the brand. But with 50mm diameter, this watch is not downright small.
U-Boat prices in comparison
Used U-Boat means U-Boat cheap!
U-Boat Classico 1001 (Ref. 6448)
New: 4.500 € / Used: 3.000 € (2015)
Features: steel case, rubber strap, 47mm diameter, helium escape valve, date window, ETA automatic caliber
U-Boat U-42 Unicum (Ref. 7093)
New: not available / used: 4.600 € (2014)
Features: Titanium case, leather strap, 54mm diameter, hinged crown, lockable bezel, ETA movement
U-Boat Classico Tungsteno Cas 1 (Ref.7430 )
New: 3.950 € / Used: 2.500 € (2015)
Features: Steel case, tungsten bezel, leather strap, 45mm diameter, chronograph, date display, crown protection
U-Boat Thousands of Feet Gold Screws (Ref. 5328)
New: not available / used: 4.910 € (2016)
Features: Yellow gold case, PVD and steel, leather strap, 50mm diameter, "Thousands of Feet" lettering on the black dial
He transferred the motto of the founder Italo Fontana to his company. High standards in terms of quality, materials and workmanship, excellent craftsmanship before mass production. Above all, to be outstanding in one: Design. As a true Italian, the designer is all about creating watches that stand out from the crowd. Even today, he designs every timepiece himself, and the entire team behind U-Boat has adapted this attitude - the recognition value of the products from Lucca is incomparably high.
The fastest way - finance U-Boat
You have chosen a U-Boat watch? Then we would like to congratulate you and finally give you a tip on how to get your new watch fast.
In addition to the classic payment methods such as Credit card, bank transfer or PayPal, Watchmaster as a dealer for certified, used luxury watches also offers favorable financing options. Compile your individual installment plan in the payment process, within a few clicks, determine the amount of the down payment yourself, and expect your package home soon.