Sports watch, military watch or dress watch?
If you are interested in buying a luxury watch that fits your everyday life and are still looking for the perfect model for you, we would like to help you with the following guide. You already know your watch size, but are you still unsure which style suits you best? Whether a sports watch, a military watch or a classic dress watch: We have useful tips for choosing your watch and will introduce you to a few popular watch models from each category.
The sports watch: For divers, drivers and their fans
If you occasionally catch yourself sitting in front of the television at odd times to watch Formula 1 racing, you might ask yourself if your heart beats in time with a 12-cylinder engine. If this is the case, then a luxury sports watch is definitely the right choice for you. Even if your favorite sport does not take place on the race track, but rather in the water, a sports watch is the right choice for you.
It is interesting how sports watches look in combination with a suit. In addition to a sporty look, they also suggest the bearer has a certain elegance and convey an image of the motor sports enthusiast or boat owner who is not afraid to push the boundaries even outside of work. Incidentally, this effect is excellently underlined by a buttoned shirt collar – and thanks to James Bond and his Omega models, such a look is absolutely fashionable.
OMEGA SEAMASTER DIVER 300M 18.104.22.168.03.001
With these sports watches you will always be in style:
- The Omega Seamaster Diver 300M, which is always associated with the famous British double-oh agent, is not only attractive. As a genuine diving watch, it has a water resistance of up to 300 meters and is an extremely robust companion. The options for the bracelet’s material are virtually unlimited. From solid stainless steel to durable rubber or fashionable rose gold, Omega offers divers a variant to suit every taste.
- One of the absolute classics: the Breitling Navitimer 1 B01. As versatile as a book and as legendary as only a few other watch models, the Navitimer belongs in every enthusiast’s watch collection and is always a wise choice for an accessory when in doubt. Whether flying, on the racetrack, in the casino or in the office, whether worn with a suit or jeans and T-shirt, you simply can't go wrong with a Breitling Navitimer Chronograph. Why is that? The model's iconic design has hardly changed since the 1940s and has earned a place in the hearts of many. It's highly precise, elegant and always leaves a good impression. Breitling also offers a wide range of models of the Navitimer, so everyone can find a model that matches their tastes.
- Adverse conditions and depths of more than 300 meters are no obstacle with a Rolex Sea-Dweller. While at first glance it is almost indistinguishable from the beloved Submariner, the Sea-Dweller has a standard water resistance of up to 1,220 meters. But even in this case the Swiss company with the crown still manages to go one step further: the Rolex Deepsea can withstand depths of up to 3,900 meters. Although the latter model is perhaps a little too massive to hide under a conventional shirt sleeve, it leaves little doubt as to its ability. With a Sea-Dweller or a Deepsea you can tackle all extreme situations.
- Hardly any other luxury brand places so much focus on sporty watches as the Swiss company TAG Heuer. With only a few exceptions, the brand's watches fit into the sports watch category and are often very elegant. Particularly popular models are the Aquaracer and the Carrera. The TAG Heuer Aquaracer is a robust diving watch. The Carrera is a timepiece that is not only tailored to the needs of racing drivers, but is named for one of the most legendary races in history. With these two models, TAG Heuer has found a good balance between practical sports watches and an elegant watch for a day of business at the office.
- For all sports enthusiasts who want to keep track of their activities all the time, we would also recommend a smartwatch, which is no longer a rarity in the luxury segment. In the TAG Heuer Connected Modular 45, the wearer has plenty of options for personalization and can customize their watch to complement their wardrobe. In addition to the watch strap, the lugs, clasp and the watch module itself can be changed, for example, with a mechanical module. In addition to various timing functions, the Connected Modular 45 also has a water resistance of up to 50 meters.
ROLEX SEA-DWELLER 116600 | ROLEX SEA-DWELLER 16600
Even if you prefer to enjoy your favorite sports from the stands and rarely dive miles deep – your sports watch could do it anytime and is ready to push the limits.
The military watch: Multi-functional and robust
Military watches have many labels such as tool watches, tactical watches or field watches, but above all, they should be one thing: utilitarian. These watches are important field instruments and cannot be inaccurate and must be a reliable companion in extreme conditions. Accordingly, most military watches are very large, clearly arranged and highly precise. Military references are also straight-forward in their choice of colors – the colors black, olive green and brown are mainly used and rarely with shiny materials. The owners of these watches often have a military background or spend a lot of time outdoors. A military watch is the ideal companion for the outdoors and won't miss a beat if it gets dirty or wet.
BREITLING AVENGER HURRICANE MILITARY XB12101A.BF46.283S.X20D.4
Functional military watches for your next adventure:
- The two most famous Panerai models are directly related to the military as they were originally made for the Italian Navy: the Radiomir and the Luminor Marina. Both series consist of robust, easy-to-read and utilitarian models that have hardly changed their appearance over time. Only the materials of the watches are a bit more refined these days, depending on the model. Nevertheless, the military background of the brand is still clearly recognizable, which gives these watches a distinctive charm. While the Radiomir has a water resistance of 100 meters, the Luminor Marina boasts a water resistance of up to 300 meters.
- When thinking of large and robust luxury watches, one invariably thinks of Breitling. Known above all for its pilot's watches, such as the aforementioned Navitimer, Breitling quickly became the favorite of many soldiers. While the Breitling Chronomat enjoys particular popularity in the cockpits of flying squadrons, the Avenger models are preferred on land. The watches in these series are what you would expect from a military watch: large, robust, precise and unquestionably impressive. The Breitling Avenger Blackbird 44 is not only named after a notorious jet, but is made entirely of PVD-coated titanium, which makes the watch particularly wear-resistant. The black fabric strap holds the Avenger firmly on the wrist and can be easily cleaned if necessary.
- Another classic military watch is the Bell and Ross BR03-92 – a modern, straightforward and easy-to-read three-hand watch combined with a black rubber strap. A military look and functionality are clearly in the foreground and are sure to cut a fine figure on your wrist with an avant-garde, yet no less pleasing design
Military watches are presumably rarely found in offices, but are used for expeditions, mountain climbing and military operations. With a dependable watch like this, you can have peace of mind.
The dress watch: Simple, but good
Tom Ford once said, "Dressing well is a form of good manners". This undoubtedly also applies to watches. The name "dress watch" suggests that these timepieces are mainly watches for special occasions with an elegant wardrobe. Sports and military watches rarely match a tuxedo with a bow tie or an evening gown. They seem too big, clunky and simply out of place. However, in comparison with sports and military watches, dress watches are usually rather flat and small, artful and beautiful, and above all elegant. They should complement their bearer according to the occasion and often come along with precious materials, artistic details and complications.
But dress watches are by no means only appropriate for social occasions and galas. They can also accompany their owner in everyday life. With a sleek dress watch you can round off almost any outfit and put emphasis on classic, timeless style. Their versatility is what makes dress watches so popular. Find our top 10 dress watches of 2019 here.
PATEK PHILIPPE NAUTILUS 5711/1A
Shine with these timeless dress watches:
- Iconic design and an excellent reputation: This is the Patek Philippe Nautilus. With a Nautilus, you make a statement. This now extremely popular and hard-to-find wristwatch is sure to attract attention – and not only from watch connoisseurs. So if you not only want a watch for special occasions, but also want to know that your money has been invested well, purchasing a Patek Philippe Nautilus is advisable because of its steady increase in value.
- How about an absolute classic? For decades, the Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso has enjoyed great popularity. It is available in various sizes and has a special feature: the rectangular case can be turned. Depending on the model, this reveals either the case back or a second dial. This watch achieves the balancing act between a festive evening reception and Sunday brunch and will always prove to be a tasteful companion that will delight.
- The A. Lange & Söhne Langematik Perpetual is a true masterpiece of the art of watchmaking and simultaneously wonderfully straightforward. This watch features a perpetual calendar, comes available with a gold or platinum case and is fitted with a crocodile leather strap. With a Langematik Perpetual, you show your sense of style without leaving anything to doubt.
- It couldn't be more simple: The Vacheron Constantin Patrimony is hard to beat in terms of simplicity with the very few details on the dial. From modest models featuring only indices and hour and minute hands, to timepieces that incorporate additional complications in a simple design on the dial, Vacheron Constantin's Patrimony collection shows just how sophisticated dress watches can be. More understatement than with the Patrimony seems almost impossible.
With a dress watch on your wrist, you show the world your appreciation for the beautiful things in life. Whether you do this in a more striking way with a perpetual calendar or with an understated dress watch that shows only the most essential information is entirely up to you. The message remains the same: acknowledgment and admiration.
Have you found a watch for your style?
We hope that you have found a suitable style of watch, if not in fact the perfect watch for you. But if not, perhaps it is now becoming clearer to you which category of wristwatches have not spoken to your tastes. In any case, you are on the safe side with a luxury watch on your wrist and accentuate your appearance with a matching accessory. You will find even more models and styles in the Watchmaster shop. We hope you enjoy browsing our collection!